Bucket list hunt, whats yours?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 10 years or so ago my friend and I went to Newfoundland for moose. We each shot a bull and had them processed there. The meat was all neatly boxed up so we loded them into the back of my pickup which I had lined with 1" blue foam, covered each box with a bag of ice then we put our sleeping bags over them and closed the tonneau cover. The ice never melted on the long drive home even with temps in the 50s.

I took 2 bison but it was with archery gear. You have to wait for the right shot - broadside and clear of any other animals. It's also a rush after the shot when one of the other ones decide to come at you on a charge. Fortunately some yelling at it and shaking my bow over my head gave him second thoughts and he turned and followed the rest of the herd.
Bison with a bow is friggin' awesome.

About 10 years or so ago my friend and I went to Newfoundland for moose. We each shot a bull and had them processed there. The meat was all neatly boxed up so we loded them into the back of my pickup which I had lined with 1" blue foam, covered each box with a bag of ice then we put our sleeping bags over them and closed the tonneau cover. The ice never melted on the long drive home even with temps in the 50s.

Not quite the same thing but I live in SE GA and I go to MI for the first week of gun season there.

I tote a 65 qt cooler full of frozen meat 998 miles over two days (once it was 4 days) in mid-late November. No ice at all. Put a towel over everything before I close the lid and don’t open it.

These are the real reasons Yeti and Orca and the like coolers exist. Not for putting a few beers in to go the pool party across the cul-de-sac but for the transport of perishables over a great spatial and temporal distance.

I have a Pelican but i have also done that trip with a $20 Igloo 40 qt. :oops:

Ron I've been on a couple hunts in MT and ID. I love it out there. Beautiful country. I wouldn't mind just going back out and doing some camping. I found it so peaceful just sitting outside at night and staring at the clear sky with millions of stars. Can't do that back here in the east with all the light pollution not even up our cabin in the middle of nowhere.

I used to go up there in the late 70's and early 80's for bear hunting and fishing. We usually went up to Gowganda and go out from there with canoes or boats and portage from lake to lake by map and compass. Some great times there.
I went up to Gowganda/Shining Tree area in the late 90’s for a week long fishing trip. Just as you said, portaging lake to lake and had a blast with two buddies and their dad, who did the same trip many times in the 70s. Still bring it up, saying we would love to get back up there. But I’m sure things have changed in 30 years as well.

Just booked an Idaho elk trip for Oct ‘24 with the same buddies. Going to be a long 19 months waiting for it to get here!

I went up to Gowganda/Shining Tree area in the late 90’s for a week long fishing trip. Just as you said, portaging lake to lake and had a blast with two buddies and their dad, who did the same trip many times in the 70s. Still bring it up, saying we would love to get back up there. But I’m sure things have changed in 30 years as well.

Just booked an Idaho elk trip for Oct ‘24 with the same buddies. Going to be a long 19 months waiting for it to get here!
I am sure much has changed. When I first started going there,we drove on dirt roads everywhere,even the main road was dirt or gravel. Some travel to lakes or portage points took four wheel drive. I made about 6 trips up there and each time a little black top was added here and there.

I've been working on my bucket list for at least 40 years. So far other than whitetails, I've checked off:
Antelope
Black bear (with flintlock)
Quebec Labrador caribou (1 with flintlock & 1 with centerfire)
Bobcat (with flintlock)
Moose
Woodland caribou
.... in that order.
I hope to go for elk in thr next few years, before I get too old. I'm 68 now, but not in too bad shape yet. I do lots of walking, play pickleball almost seven days a week & ride bicycle as often as possible, to try to maintain.

I'm no hunter.

I love shooting steel targets & just about anything that will fall, etc.
However...if I was to ever go on a real hunt, I'd love to fly in one of those charter helicopters about 100 feet off the ground and shoot at those pesky hogs in Texas.

Now....THAT would be fun....!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Been researching sheep hunts in Texas. Found a ranch that has Snow Urial Sheep, as well as Big Horn Urials. These are beautiful Rams. Just sent the rancher an email for more info.
Let me know what you find.

I'm no hunter.

I love shooting steel targets & just about anything that will fall, etc.
However...if I was to ever go on a real hunt, I'd love to fly in one of those charter helicopters about 100 feet off the ground and shoot at those pesky hogs in Texas.

Now....THAT would be fun....!!

View attachment 32510
That would be so cool. Ive heard about night hunts in NOLA for nutria(sp?) giant rat looking things. That would be almost as much fun.

I would love to go on a Moose hunt; Maine or Alaska. I would have to get in better shape physically though, LOL. It's hard enough traipsing over the mountains in Rumford, ME in the snow without getting winded. I would never last on some of the Alaskan hunts I've read about, LOL.

It would be fun to hunt Turkey or hogs but I don't like Turkey and I can't eat pork so that will never happen. It's just a personal thing; I won't kill something I'm not going to eat. Every life is valuable; even an animal's. I can't give it back so I won't take it.

That would be so cool. Ive heard about night hunts in NOLA for nutria(sp?) giant rat looking things. That would be almost as much fun.
nutria were raised for fur (louisiana & other places) kind of like the mink... but they either escpaped or were released & have done really well for themselves!! i saw a tv show once where police shot them over the waterways at night in/near new orleans... look like giant muskrats.. they really damage the waters edge vegetation/grasses... bet you could do that pretty cheap???

My hunt would be for Caribou in Alaska or the Yukon. It seems doable even at my age.
25 yrs ago or so i had the money to do a quebec-labrador caribou hunt,, most were taking 2 trophy bulls then, there were so many boo.... i didn't go cause i couldn't get anyone to go with me,,, what a mistake!!! i should have went alone... Those hunts don't even exist now,,, canada banned em down to "native" peoples.... & caribou herd has shrunk trememdously too..

Back