Broken antler

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I have found broken antler tines over the years. Today I found a 4 point, nearly complete antler, broken so close the to base it looked almost like a shed. Those antlers are hard, amazed at the power to break one off like that in a fight.

I never used to but now I actively look. I am pretty sure I have found 20 or so in the last 10 years. I would have to count to make sure. I like finding them more than spring mushrooms.

Saw a bull elk a couple years ago who apparently had thought he was a heard bull, until a real heard bull taught him otherwise. He sported two good-sized stumps. one broken off just above a nice brow tine, and the other broken below the brow tines. Now, that takes a big can of whoop-a$$!

The other week in IL a buddy filmed one of the largest body deer ever seen on the hunt property. He had a massive body. He was also sporting a wide, thick main beam. The problem was nearly every tine was broken off. He would of been a 12+ pointer had everything been in place.

He saw this deer twice inside 75 yards. Since this is somewhat QDM type property, he passed, hoping he'll be there next year, intact.

It's common for a buck to have a tine or two broken off, but nearly all of them? He either did a lot of fighting, or there is a deficiency of some sort. Maybe the other bucks would be glad he was gone if he's a bully.

An old man I know used to hunt up in Colorado said he used to rattle pre-rut One morning he was out rattling and started getting mad at his buddy around the hill because it sounded like he was hitting something or breaking up firewood up. finely fed up with the noise he walked around the hill to find two big bucks going after it his discription had me rolling. He said he would have sworn they had Rams blood running through there vains they where hitting so hard. One was a big ol bruiser another a younger buck
I asked him what he did and he said "well I always have had a soft spot for the underdog so I evened the odds a bit by putting a few grains of lead in the bigger of the two".

Update: The broken antler I found exactly matched a dead deer I found in late Feb/early March of this year. Separated by about 3/8ths of a mile. I had a friend that took a photo of a 6 point buck with both antlers on, April 2, 2016. Quite late to have headgear. Near Lake Erie, someone feeds them year round, don't know if that makes a difference but they are not in a pen or enclosed.

Even though I live in the land of monster bucks, and I used to snow shoe around with the dog just checking out the woods ... I never found a shed. I found a lot of bones one year. But never a shed. Then my dad (who lives in the city) called me one night and said ... you should see the deer shed I found in the back yard. It was half of a monster rack. I just never got that lucky. Although one afternoon at a friends house, having a cook out with friends, one of my friend asked if he could ride my 4 wheeler around the property. He wanted to ride down by the rifle in the alder. So I told him sure. He came back with a huge complete matching sheds. They were so big he shot a large doe and had them mounted on her. A very impressive rack.

Latest posts

Back