CVA firebolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusticGrain

Reaction score
Hey all, muzzleloader season is coming up so I dug out my late season purchase from last year ready to put it to use this year. An older (Pre BPI) Firebolt. Got all my gear together, loaded up a primer to try to get it sighted in and nothing striking primer. After taking it down for another thorough cleaning I've determined that something isn't right with the firing pin. Either broken off or stuck. Trying to find any information or photos online to figure out how it's supposed to function is proving impossible. Based on the diagram I found from Deercreek it looks like the tip of my pin is broken off. Anyone have one they can share a picture of to compare? Any idea's on where I might find a replacement? Thanks!

Attachments

• firebolt.png
    firebolt.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230909_140938_169.jpg
    IMG_20230909_140938_169.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230909_140930_530.jpg
    IMG_20230909_140930_530.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230909_140923_252.jpg
    IMG_20230909_140923_252.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
No, still new to all of this so still learning, gun was setup for 11 when I bought it but based on what little info I could find online, a new 209 breech plug was all I thought I needed to run 209's. Which is all I could source locally. So looks like I need a different firing pin to use the 209's?

You have a firing pen for #11 caps not 209 put your old breech plug in and go shooting

Up here in Canada Walmart pulled anything hunting/shooting related a while back. All my local hunting/shooting sources don't carry 11's, just 209. That's why I was hoping to convert to 209's. I think I found a place online I can order them, a little expensive due to shipping but better than not having any.

I converted it back to the no 11 breech/nipple. No luck finding 11's near by so I'll put an order in for some. Next question, I have some t7 pellets someone gave me to try out with it, package says use with 209's. Will 11's have enough spark to run the pellets or should I pick up some powder too?

RusticGrain,
I have been shooting a .45 caliber CVA Firebolt ultramag for about 20 years now. CVA stopped carrying replacement parts for this model a long time ago. Therefore, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement firing pin. However, Deer Creek Products carries the "New Style Replacement Bolt" (which contains the firing pin designed for shooting 209 primers).

With a few small modifications, you can turn it into a 200+ yard gun. Last year, I killed a nice 8-point @ 205 yards. I have had no problem keeping my shots in a 5-inch circle @ 250 yards. If you are interested, I would be happy to share what improvements I have made with mine.

RusticGrain,
I have been shooting a .45 caliber CVA Firebolt ultramag for about 20 years now. CVA stopped carrying replacement parts for this model a long time ago. Therefore, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement firing pin. However, Deer Creek Products carries the "New Style Replacement Bolt" (which contains the firing pin designed for shooting 209 primers).

With a few small modifications, you can turn it into a 200+ yard gun. Last year, I killed a nice 8-point @ 205 yards. I have had no problem keeping my shots in a 5-inch circle @ 250 yards. If you are interested, I would be happy to share what improvements I have made with mine.
Most of my hunting is pretty much thick brush, rare to see a shot more than 50-60 yards where I hunt. But definitely interested in what improvements you made to yours.

Most of my hunting is pretty much thick brush, rare to see a shot more than 50-60 yards where I hunt. But definitely interested in what improvements you made to yours.
1 - The slots on that breech plug allow sparks and powder residue (blowback) from the primer to escape which cruds up the bolt face and the firing pin. It also will put a burn spot on the bottom of your scope. This is the breech plug you want to get: CVA AC1678a hex head. (Use at your own risk - Although the breech plug fits most CVA bolt action muzzleloaders, they have never acknowledged or promoted it for them).

1694732618747.png

A rubber o-ring (number 6, or 006) in the primer pocket should completely seal breech plug and prevent and back blow from the primer. The rubber o-rings are good for about 15 or 20 shots. They are cheap and easy to replace. I have had no problems shooting Blackhorn 209 powder in my CVA Firebolt after doing this.

2 - Wrap the breech plug threads with teflon plumbers tape. This provides a good seal and reduces blowback and prevents the breech plug from becoming seized.

3 - Although more expensive, consider shooting Blackhorn 209 powder. You can shoot it multiple times without having to swab between shots. It is a lot more forgiving if you forget to clean your barrel the same day after shooting. To insure proper ignition you MUST make sure that the saboted bullet is fully seated against the powder. However, you can go one step further if you like and have this breech plug modified to where it will accept a removable vent liner. This puts the powder charge a little closer to the ignition source, further reducing the possibility of a misfire or hangfire.

4 - If you shot saboted bullets, swap the sabot that comes with the bullet you are shooting to Harvester smooth blue sabots. They are very easy load and are much more accurate.

Latest posts

Back