breech plug grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None, i use pink Teflon tape also , no greasy mess , breech plug has never got stuck and if you overlap the tape in the front it act like a seal . learned that from this forum !!

Go to an automotive store and get some Slick 50 One Grease. Teflon tape the plug and then smear a very light coating of that over the tape. You plug will come out every time.

Any good anti sieze will do, I have used teflon tape, nickle anti sieze, slick 50 and the TC breach plug grease. I now use teflon on the Omega and TC grease on the speed BP in the Triumph and the Endeavor. Lee

I have always used Knight breech plug grease. You guys that use teflon tape how many shots do you shoot at the range before you pull the breech plug and rewrap it?

I use nothing but teflon tape in my Mustang and Omega. Have never had a stuck plug. I've gone 50+ shots with the Mustang in a two-day range session and didn't pull the plug until the end of the second day.

Thumbs up for the teflon tape with a little grease on top of it.

fliowa - I've shot over 30 rounds in a session using the tape like this and the plug came right out of my Knight USAK without so much as a hiccup.

If you are going to use T7 then you need to seal the breech from the blowback. The easiets way is with teflon tape and the more common way is with BP grease. I choose to use Teflon. I have not used grease in years, to messy and may contaminate the load...

Here is how I wrap my BP's...

BreechPlug.jpg

And here is my theory... for the life of me I have not figured out why people would only run the plug up 'finger tight' when you are trying to seal the blowback in the bore. It should not be 'TIGHT' but I believe it should be snug, just enought to squash the tflon but not enoug to tear it...

BreechPlugSealing.jpg

It seems that all is not equal in the world of shooting a ML - this works for me but you will need to try what works best for you...

Krchov:

Pink Teflon, last sat. shot 20 rounds of t7, and 10 of Shockly Gold, the Shochly Gold shoots at a noticably hoter takes longer for barrel to cool. Breach plug came out easely compared to with greese.

SAX

Dang! it is good to see your name pop up in the forum.... and now that you here I would like to complain to ya!

I really wish you would keep all of this Florida HOT - HOT weather down there where you guys are use to it...

Hope things are going on a more even keel for ya...

NAPA Anti-Seize Lubricant Advanced Formula 16 o.z.
Resists Temperatures up to 1600 degrees F

This amount will last a lifetime.

I don't know what it is like to have a siezed plug.

p.s. I got this at an auto parts store for $20.

I use Knight breech plug grease and have done so since 2003 with I bought the Kinight disc extreme. Also use it on nipples and clean out screws on traditional rifles. Never had any problems with getting and of them out after I'm done shooting.

Wow...sabotloader..those threads must be a loose fit to be able to thread that in and out of your gun & the tape stays intact like that. We used the teflon tape for years in my line of work on fittings and plugs with tapered threads. That tape is probably .003"...I know the white tape is. Your plug must fit pretty loose without tape?

Latest posts

Back