Modules for Omega sml.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one use the modules from Mark Woodman's Omega smokeless 45 barrels?How do you like them and is it worth it to use them over 209 primers?Starting to get arthritis in my hands and it is clumsy to try to load primers.

The two pictures above show the two module types. The first pic shows the standard full-sized modules (which are like those made by other manufacturers) and the second pic shows the small (209 sized) modules (which are similar to the Variflame). You’d have to have a different plug configuration (and a deeper sealing shoulder to use the large modules. You can use the 209 type modules with no special modifications. I was just talking with Mark about this specifically a day or two ago.

The barrels he’s currently making are bored (for the plug sealing shoulder) a little deeper so that there is room for the larger module. If you have an older barrel like I do, it likely isn’t compatible with the large modules.

Is the smaller 209 module easier to handle than a standard 209 primer?Any special work to have those fit my barrel?And do they come out easier than a 209 primer?And they use a lrp?Thanks.

Yes, they use a LRMP or LRP. Slightly larger and easier to handle than a 209. They go in and come out just like a 209. They should work just fine with your set up. You may want to adjust the headspace a little (if needed.)

Does any one use the modules from Mark Woodman's Omega smokeless 45 barrels?How do you like them and is it worth it to use them over 209 primers?Starting to get arthritis in my hands and it is clumsy to try to load primers.
I know we've gone in circles about this on at least 3 occasions, so here is another round...
To use modules you will need a way to primer and de-prime them. I do not have a shell holder made to load the 209 modules, however they can be loaded other ways such as an arbor press. The 209 module is no different to load in the rifle compared to a 209 primer. I see zero benefits to doing that in your case.
The larger modules would likely be the same case, and you may need an extractor tool to remove them (if we had the breech plug part to accept it).
My advice is save your money and use a regular 209 primer. Amazon has a 209 primer capper tool that provides a big handle and it is really inexpensive at $7.00.

Take a look at this thread again

Thread 'Woodman modules'
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/woodman-modules.58054/
Friend has an Encore with a MGM BP 45 barrel and uses 209 primers. Leaks enough that occasionally he has to pry the primer out. I'm assuming if he went with a 209 primer module he will need a new breech plug. I shimmed the firing pin bushing using Bellms' shims but it still leaks. It's a little better but still leaks. I thought about shimming the primer pocket like I did with my Knight but I like a 209 module better and so does my friend.

It looks like Mark does this but unsure if he would do it for an Encore MGM barrel. Who else would be worth reaching out to?

I do not have a shell holder made to load the 209 modules.
Please keep us Posted when the 209 Shell Holders are Available as I have ruined some of your Modules getting creative with other Loading Methods 😞

Last edited:
Back