Bore butter ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use ballistal to clean, if you dry your guns then wipe it down with straight ballistal it doesn’t dry and no rust, I live in southeastern NC, so I got some humidity in summer.
Same here… I use Ballistol as part of my moose milk mixture then straight Ballistol in bore and on the exterior for short and long term storage. I’m in the Gulf Coast area with 90% humidity on a regular basis… no rust issues.

I've used BB for years but only in lubing my maxis. I would not use it for bore protection. I use good quality gun oil for short term storage. For long term, a year or more, I only use a good gun grease.

Best use for BB is if you have some conicals and the lube is drying out. Smear a little BB on them. Let it set a day or so then wipe off the excess.

For guys that are frugal, you can buy light medical/food grade (USP) mineral oil cheap. That is the oil used in some "non petroleum" CLPs such as Ballistol and Montana Extreme products. Same stuff you treat you butcher block cutting board with.

Best use for BB is if you have some conicals and the lube is drying out. Smear a little BB on them. Let it set a day or so then wipe off the excess.

For guys that are frugal, you can buy light medical grade mineral oil cheap. That is the oil used in some "non petroleum" CLPs such as Ballistol and Montana Extreme products. Same stuff you treat you butcher block cutting board with.
Mineral oil doesn’t mix with water, or does it? I always assumed there were other things added to make it water mixable.

They use a type of alcohol in Ballistol for the solvent but its mainly mineral oil.
https://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf
Ballistol contains the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole
Isohexane (aerosol only)

The point being....if you are using Ballistol for storage, you could get by using $3 bottle USP mineral oil. I wasnt suggesting using it as a CLP. (Cleaning)

Last edited:
They use a type of alcohol in Ballistol for the solvent but its mainly mineral oil.
https://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf
Ballistol contains the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole
Isohexane (aerosol only)

The point being....if you are using Ballistol for storage, you could get by using $3 bottle USP mineral oil. I wasnt suggesting using it as a CLP. (Cleaning)
I got that part and I see how that would work, my thought was mixing up my own batch. Thanks for the info and yes I think I may go that route and use the cheaper stuff to wipe down my guns after they are cleaned, unless isopropyl alcohol will mix with mineral oil. Again thanks for the info.

Bore butter always leaves your bore brown. As in running a patch down the bore to see if it is clean. Will never come clean with BB.
Idaho Lewis posted exclusively about and not to use it.

Mineral oil doesn’t mix with water, or does it? I always assumed there were other things added to make it water mixable.
Where do you find "non petroleum" mineral oil??? I thought all mineral oil is petroleum based.

Latest posts

Back