Bison Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcord

Reaction score
I am in the process of planning a fair chase bison hunt. Anyone who has hunted this animal what load did you use?
I planning to use a 400gr hard cast in a crush rib sabot from Harvester. Powder charge 77gr of BH 209.

Thanks
Joe

Your upcoming hunt sounds very exciting!! I have seen a couple Television programs of people hunting Bison. And while yes, they are a herd animal, and if you can get close to the herd they should be fairly easy to shoot, the shows I watched.. the problem was getting close to them. It seems if the herd has been hunted they get cautious of hunters. Which is great. Many people picture modern day Bison hunts as walking up to a fenced in paddock and simply picking out the animal they want and shooting it and paying for the privilege of shooting one. Like I said, a free chase hunt sounds exciting.

As for whether your load will work, I can not say. I know what I would be shooting if I were hunting, but that does you little good. All I can say is if the load is accurate and you keep your shot range with in your ability, you should be successful. Whether you really need a hard cast bullet I can not say. As penetration of the animal to the vital organs is what your after. Then you want expansion of the bullet. Think in terms of what weapons and bullets were used back in our history to harvest Bison and you load sounds pretty good.

Keep us posted on your hunt. And when you do.. remember, we love pictures!!!

yea...love to hear the follow up... and see some pics too....

Good Luck!!!

I have taken a Bison with my ML. I used a 300 grains barnes MZ and pushed it with 120gr of loose 2f Triple seven with a T& Winchester primer. I shot the 1800lbs bull at around 50 yards. He actually did not move at the shot. Not even hump up a little. Just stood there and would not move. The herd spooked at the shot and ran off. I was reloading and my guide said it was not necessary. He could see the bull pumping out. He stood there after the shot for a full 10 min before he started to take a few steps. That was the end. They are a tough animal. Enjoy! Besides the hide the meat is awesome. I did a full rug and just a head mount. No room for the full shoulder mount.

Latest posts

Back