BH209 temp sensitive?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
We set up my buddy's dad's CVA accura V1 with BH209, drilled the flash hole to .035 per frontier gander's recommendation, and used the .50 300gr FTX sabotless. Only primers we could get around here were regular CCI, not magnums.

When sighting in, the gun shot perfectly and went boom every time. Temps were probably in the 60's. Dad was happy and all set.

The first deer weekend he did not get a chance to shoot a deer but did try to shoot to unload each evening, and the gun misfired. Primer popped, but the load did not ignite. He had cleaned it with something other than hoppes that had left a good amount of oily residue so we assumed that was the problem, cleaned the heck out of it and the plug and he was back in business. Until this weekend, when he had another misfire, this time at a deer.

Gun is stored in an unheated garage so condensation isn't the issue. Powder seems dry, granules not swelled up or sticking together, shakes easily. Only thing I can think of is the temp difference. Mid 20's to mid 30's while hunting.

Is it possible the regular CCI just isn't enough to ignite BH209 in these temps? Do you think a magnum primer would do it?

Really scratching my head here and this is all I can come up with. Pretty certain it's not seating pressure as he didn't have this issue at the range in warmer temps.

I use the same rifle with 100gr BH and a reg CCI 209 and havent had a problem yet (knock wood). Past weekend out all day below 20* and no problem igniting the BH with the standard CCI. I have a ronlaughlin mod. plug in mine now but it shot consistant with the original plug I opened up to .033.Im using 250 Deep Curls with Harv. SB sabots and it a good snug fit which also helps...

We had trouble in cold temps the first year we used BH. We switched to tighter fitting sabots and the problem went away. My buddy and I both sighted in and hunted in the warmer temps with no problems, killed a couple deer each. After the temps dropped below 20 we started having ignition problems. Used everything the same except switched to the tigher sabots and the problem went away. I use lots of compression and a tight sabot, regular 209 primers and keep my flashhole cleaned. No problems the last couple years at all no matter how cold the temps.

Proper sabot and primer fit make a world of difference. IMO mag primers are not needed if everything else is in order. I proved this with WinT7 primers and BH209 in temps down in the 40Fs.

Im not saying to use WinT7s but i had 100% ignition in several properly modded plugs. It is my opinion that if they can ignite BH209 then any standard primer can in the correct breach plug design and with a snug sabot.

Ron's Omega type breach plug and the Lehigh NFPJ conversion resulted in perfect performance this year.

I experienced the same issue as Critter the first year I used BH 209. I have swithched to a tighter fitting sabot and an improved breechplug primer seal with no futher issues the last two years.

i have found on my guns that are blowback free that i can get away with a looser sabot and still get good ignition, and on marginal breechplugs a firm fitting load compessed well will work allso.i think a properly headspaced primer fit is as important as flash chamber/flash hole diameters..............karl

I just got done sighting in my Muzzleloader Winchester Apex and I had the same issue with my gun. I was using the regular CCI and after someone recommended the Winchester 209 primers I never missed a beat. Try using Winchester Primers and see if that helps.

River Rat

Latest posts

Back