BH 209 Foul The Barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
For those of you that shoot Blackhorn 209...Do you think you need to foul the barrel before taking it hunting? The gun was clean after shooting. I have cleanned barrel with rubbing alcohol since it was last clean to remove anything. Now the question is should I fire a shot to foul the barrel or load her up and go?

When you're at the range with a clean barrel do you see a difference in impact from your first to subsequent shots?

No fouling shot for me. I like to keep the m-l clean for as long as possible. For the average 50-75 yrd shot it won't make enough difference to matter.

muskrat30 said:
No fouling shot for me. I like to keep the m-l clean for as long as possible. For the average 50-75 yrd shot it won't make enough difference to matter.
1+ my thoughts as well.......karl

I just put a load through it...I will have to start checking it...I think its just a perfectionist thing...non of us have that on here do we? :roll:

+2

Works for me. No reason to dirty up a clean gun.

I like to sight in my pro hunter a little b4 season then do a complete cleaning. day or so b4 season I will take 1-2 shots to check zero and foul the bore.i will then clean it after season is over, usually week or 2 depending on season. I do notice a difference with clean/fouled bore. agree not much difference at 50-80 yds but I have places where I can shoot 200 yds if I want to. last years 1 doe was 170 yds. that's why I like bh209. I know you cant leave it dirty too long but I have had success with this method and no rust.

fouled

+ 2 what Dander said. I leave mine loaded for the season, only clean it if I shoot during that time . If I do shoot I clean and then foul it. BUT, I leave it in the garage or in the cold , I do not put in an environment where sweat or condensation might effect it.

First off this is one of the things no two guns can be trusted to be the same on.
For instance mine shoots an inch high and a bit right on a clean barrel. I do not worry about that small a difference on a deer out to a hundred yards, if I am going to hunt where I might have to shoot two hundred yds then I foul it with two shots.

I shot one fouling shot. I like the consistency of hunting on a fouled bore. I never let mine stay fouled for more than a week in good conditions when using BH 209. It stays in the garage and in the back of the vehicle during transporting.

Snapping 2 primers off then running a dry patch down the bore and right back out is all I do before the hunt. Clears the BP of any oil and fouls the bore for 1st shot accuracy.

smyers717 said:
Snapping 2 primers off then running a dry patch down the bore and right back out is all I do before the hunt. Clears the BP of any oil and fouls the bore for 1st shot accuracy.

Thats all i do now after using the ME bore conditioner. My first shot POI is so close i dont care.

I run two dry patches thru to clean out the oil. Fire one primer. The first shot is the same as the rest. This is with 209 in a TC Endeavor.

I still swab between shots so I have a "clean barrel" everytime - I don't have to worry about any differences. It's stored with Slip 2000 in the barrel, I just run some dry patches from back to front, use an air blow off to dry out my breech plug, and I'm good to go. I like real consistancy.

Latest posts

Back