BH 209 by volume weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Ohio, too, and would be willing to put money and time into this if you'd like some help with the testing. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

On a slightly different note, I ran the ballistics for my hunting load through a calculator and determined that my drop is approximately +/- 3 inches from point of aim out to 175 yards for muzzle velocities from 1850 to 1950 fps (150 yard Zero). The difference in drop at 225 yards is 1.5 inches over the same velocity range.

That makes me feel a lot better about slight variances in powder charge as it pertains to my personal ethical hunting range.

-Don
Have you sent your pet load through a chronograph? I'm just curious how you arrived at those velocity parameters...

Have you sent your pet load through a chronograph? I'm just curious how you arrived at those velocity parameters...

I sighted in at 100 yards, and then shot at 200 to verify drop.

Once I did that, it was no big deal to work that information through an online calculator and come up with a velocity. In my case, just a shade under 1900fps, hence my little thought experiment of 1850 to 1950fps.

IF I were a target shooter for money with a ML - there is not doubt in my mind that I would be as consistent as possible and in that case I would be weighing charges myself. Actually I kinda do now but I have to adjust my conversion for for each different lot number of BH. And in my world using a ML with open sights as required by Idaho my magic range max is 200 yards, If you lived here in Northern Idaho you would know the terrain id far from flat...
What I’ve done…right or wrong is combine 3 lots of mixed BH 209 the weight out 83 grains on my digital scale. I put the loads into bh 209 charge tubes. By volume on the tubes they range anywhere from 100-110 by volume. Weights are exact!

What I’ve done…right or wrong is combine 3 lots of mixed BH 209 the weight out 83 grains on my digital scale. I put the loads into bh 209 charge tubes. By volume on the tubes they range anywhere from 100-110 by volume. Weights are exact!
To be honest I (quietly) did the exact same thing over a year ago. 3 different lots, 7 different 10 oz jugs. The powder is now in one air tight container that gets gently mixed before I draw some out. I heard lots of warnings from several good intentioned souls against this but without a shred of logical proof why it shouldn't be done aside from physically damaging it from too much handling. I saw no greater chance of that kind of harm than when it came in 5lb jugs so I went ahead and did it. I threw 20 different volumetric 100 grain charges, recorded their individual weights, averaged them out and its that value I use to weight all my charges. I'll keep that number to myself because its of no use to anyone but me. I have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited:
Back