between the melted snow and the rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
the farmers almanac said it was going to be a wet winter here and so far it has been. the snow has melted instead of evaporated and now it is raining. man it is soupy, the 110 yards we have to the highway. the trees and bushes love it. the black pine grow in the winter here and this year they are getting the moisture to grow very well. maybe we will have another summer of a good wild fruit crop. last summer the wild plums produced for the first time in 10 or so years. they are my favorite beside the wild golden current. my gooseberries grow very well here and are starting to produce well also. they are the only bush i have to spray in the spring. they get a tiny green worm that can strip them of leaves and kill them. a little spray and that takes care of the worms. i like organic but sometimes one has to step out side of that box. 2 years ago i had one chokecherry bush that produced yellow cokecherries and that is very very rare. it goes back to one yellow chokecherry bush found in wyoming up near the montana border. i sent the seed from that tree to oikos tress and bushes back east for they could maybe get them going to share to the rest of the world. the yellow chockcherrys are bigger and more sweet that the blue black reddish ones. ive got several types of wild plums but the trees from the texas wild plum hasnt produced yet. the local and canadian one has. the one thing that really grows well here is my asparagus bed. i take good care of it and we eat alot of asparagus in the spring and early summer. you can see im getting ready for spring. going to have surgery friday and hope that goes well, dont like to be cut on. sorry my post today sounds like a flight of ideas but it is just talk what is going on here. going to make some hot chili chinese paste to dip stir fry in. a pint or quart of the stuff should do for a good while.

We need snow but it is not to be. It hasn't been cold enough to set the Bugs back any. Find I'm having to treat my Dogs for Flea and Ticks year round.

Had a Tick put me in the Hospital 5 years ago, still dealing with it.

Getting more like Southern Weather.

oneshot

i hear you all the way. people dont know it but the russians are getting rich with this global warming. sea routes are open to them that they never had open before. they can ship year around and make a lot more money in shipping than they ever could before. the natives who live as far north as possible are moving even further north because of the climate easing up further north. for the rest of us it is making colder more wet winters. eastern n.dak where i was raised is going into a very wet cycle. is was a semi drought area when settled in the 1880/s. now it is going back to what it normally was. very wet. water tables are rising and devils lake has rose 30 ft. and expanded 70 miles out. put a town called churches ferry under water for good. the lake is still rising. my cousins ranch is now a reed filled swamp. if it wasnt for the leased BLN land they would not be ranching. our old farm stead has two wells for the city of fargo pumping millions of gallons of water from them every day. the water table is still rising. things are changing here in the ne. sandhills and every wheres else. some places it hurts them and someplaces are getting better. thats the way it has always been. forest fires are getting more frequent and intense, i would never build a home in any forest any more. too dangerous.

I enjoy all fours seasons and have hobbies for all of them, but the mild temps of spring and fall are far and away my favorite.  I despise...repeat...despise the hot dry weather of summer.  There are lots of fun things to do in summer, but it gets miserable hot and have to always worry about sun burns.  I enjoy Spring a lot, warmer temps and I get out into the woods a lot looking for sheds, seeing all the rubs & scrapes from the whitetail rut, turkey season, bear season, and Brains & Morel mushroom picking.  Fall is elk, deer, and grouse hunting and I love every minute of it.  Winter I snowmobile and do some coyote calling.  I do find that I don't endure the cold near as well as I did in my twenties & thirties.
Winter here has been kind of a bust so far too.  We had one week where temps were down into the teens, but mostly has been in the forties and lots of rain instead of snow.  It is supposed to be into the fifties today.  Perhaps I'll get time to do a little shooting this weekend, have some different patch lube tests I want to run.  I enjoy testing different things even if I already have found things that work well.

strong eagle said:
you are in the south, to us.
Funny years ago we thought we would move South get away from the cold so moved to Louisiana get down there lows were in the 20's. Decided if we was going to be cold might as well be cold moved to the mountains of Colorado had 160 inches of snow. Oh back then it cost us $70 for gas to drive from Missouri to the mountains.

Come Summer found I hated the mountains so came back to Missouri.

oneshot

fall and spring are the nice times of the year. as for summers, northern minn cant be beat. not to hot, the thousands of lakes are clean and clear and their is always some kind of fish biting. it dont get better than that. one summer when we were up their nothing was biting but perch. so my son and i figured out how to get 13 to 15 inchers. and lots of them. soon the whole resort came over to us and said how do you do it. we told them and then they all were bringing in loads of big perch. every body ate well their. perch is as good as wall eye, the best thing i ever did up their was a family came from the big city for the first time. they didnt know how to fish. they had 2 sons about 6 and 7 years old. the father asked me , where and how do you catch good pan fish. i pointed to a week bed about a 1/2 mile out in big sioux lake. about 3 to 4 ft deep their. i said go their with lots of worms and small minnows. put a small hook about a ft. off of the bottom with a bober on the line. they did and came back with about 30 huge sun fish and big rock bass. these sun fish where huge, not the small kind as where the rock bass. those kids where fisherman for life after that. a happier couple of kids you could not find anys where. ive seen my son at the bow of our boat plot a worm into a opening of reeds and bring out a huge bass. then take out sun fish so big they were dinner plate size. we love minn. and know how to fish those lakes up their. their is a small river that comes out of a tamerac tree swamp in the north west corner of leech lake. the water is reddish in color from the tamarck tree roots. if you want bass or pan fish that is the place to go. beautiful and pristine and as it was before white people came to the area. look it up guys and gals, best vacation you will ever have.

When i was a kid we used to get snow here missed up to 2  weeks of school at a time but not now ,it was 73 here today.

we just had a bad wind for about 10 minutes, also hailed for a short time. never ever saw either in jan. before. its in the 30/s was in the 50/s today.

Latest posts

Back