Best Starter Muzzleloader??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in the same boat as the OP. Wanting to get a good ML, especially since I just moved and the place I will be hunting is ML or slug only.

One of my buddies turned me on to the T/C Omega Z5 blowout at WalMart - he got one for $174. They also had some with the starter kit for $185, which seems like a great deal. By the time I made it to the store they had sold out and couldn't even find any to do a store-to-store xfer. Off to the internet...

I did a lot of reading and researching, scanned thru the auction sites, Buds, etc, and almost dropped the hammer on a new Knight KP1. The only thing that held me back was the requirement for a FFL transfer (I don't have a local dealer or drivers license yet). Pretty rifle, though.

Finally settled on the CVA Accura black/SS for $289 at Cabela's as one of the best deals going. Ordered it along with a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32, some Burris rings, and an Evolution Gun Works mount that I think will be great. Ended up spending a little more than I originally planned, but still very reasonable overall - right at 500 bones.

What sold me on the Accura:
- break action
- solid factory fiber optic sights
- reportedly awesome trigger
- Bergara barrel produced with input from Ed Shilen
- accuracy guarantee from CVA and reports from happy owners throughout the various blaster forums
- upfront attitude from the leadership at BPI/CVA. There is a lot of trash talk out there about CVA, but the company has addressed past issues (the 95-96 recall) and moved on. They have a reputation for outstanding customer service as well.

At the end of the day, I decided that I would rather buy a company's top of the line ML for roughly the same money as competitor's entry level sticks. Can't wait to get the rifle and start load development! :D

HTH,
dh

lots of hunters on the forum have CVA Accura and are very satisfied ..so i don't see any problem with your choice ..i don't have one and the wife won't let me buy another ML ..so i'm stuck with my ENCORE

Back