Best Conical ML??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonecracker

Reaction score
Been lurking on this site for a while and greatly enjoyed the quality information. I was hoping to get some sound advise on a good ML for conicals as I have been a bow hunter most of my life. I have enough preference points to draw a good elk tag next year in Colorado and the budget is around $600.00. I am also planning on shooting Thor 250-300grn conicals with BH-209. Thx!! :D

The best conical shooting rifle IMO is a White Rifle. Now you're not going to shoot BH 209 in the thing. Most of them have an old style open breech. But that will not bother you. I guarantee when you start shooting one, you will wonder why you own other inline rifles.

I have three White rifles. My favorite is a Model 97 Whitetail Hunter. I have a special White which is a Ultra Mag Model 97 in .504 caliber. It is the ultimate conical shooting machine for me. It don't need a Thor or any other thing. Load a .5045 500 grain slip fit conical on top of 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and my rifle will shoot circles around most other makes of rifles with conicals that is. Now it will also shoot sabots, as Sabotloader has so proved. But I bought the rifle to shoot conicals. For deer I would shoot a 460 grain conical with the same powder charge.

The rifle comes set up for a scope base, or a Lyman Peep sight (where required or desired). With optics on it.. you're just a deadly individual with a White rifle.

Bonecracker said:
Been lurking on this site for a while and greatly enjoyed the quality information. I was hoping to get some sound advise on a good ML for conicals as I have been a bow hunter most of my life. I have enough preference points to draw a good elk tag next year in Colorado and the budget is around $600.00. I am also planning on shooting Thor 250-300grn conicals with BH-209. Thx!! :D

I certainly believe that the White Rifle line of guns is the best lead conical shooters around.

BUT, I am also going to tell you the Green Mountain barrel will shoot them really well also.

I shoot the .503-460 grain lead conical from my GM-LRH barrels and from my Knight inlines... Dang good shooters....

I believe shooting Thors from a Knight Mountaineer or Extreme will work really well. Folks are shooting them from a variety of rifles... but for myself I would go with the GM barrel found on a Knight.

cayuga said:
The best conical shooting rifle IMO is a White Rifle. Now you're not going to shoot BH 209 in the thing. Most of them have an old style open breech. But that will not bother you. I guarantee when you start shooting one, you will wonder why you own other inline rifles.

I have three White rifles. My favorite is a Model 97 Whitetail Hunter. I have a special White which is a Ultra Mag Model 97 in .504 caliber. It is the ultimate conical shooting machine for me. It don't need a Thor or any other thing. Load a .5045 500 grain slip fit conical on top of 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and my rifle will shoot circles around most other makes of rifles with conicals that is. Now it will also shoot sabots, as Sabotloader has so proved. But I bought the rifle to shoot conicals. For deer I would shoot a 460 grain conical with the same powder charge.

The rifle comes set up for a scope base, or a Lyman Peep sight (where required or desired). With optics on it.. you're just a deadly individual with a White rifle.
+1 on that

1. White Muzzle Loader UMag with a 460gr .5045 Bullshop , 80gr T-7ff

2. Knight Elite with a 400gr .504 Bullshop lead conical. 80gr T7ff

Either One = Game Over

redpep said:
1. White Muzzle Loader UMag with a 460gr .5045 Bullshop , 80gr T-7ff

2. Knight Elite with a 400gr .504 Bullshop lead conical. 80gr T7ff

Either One = Game Over

Well that pretty much sums it up for at you and I

white5048-12006.jpg

75 yards

white5048-12014.jpg

100 yards

white5048-12018.jpg

126 yards

I know this was posted before, but it does tell a lot. The White is a great rifle.

Best conical shooters presently made are knights hands down. i have seen several post on other sites from people who have purchased the new bighorn and 1"- 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with 70-80 gr pyrodex or 777 with a 460 gr conical. my knight wolverine 22" barrel(newer model) shoots the .460 lights out with 75 gr pyrodex.i am sure all the rifles in there line up will do the same, since they all carry GMB barrels.

What about the ignition system on a White that makes it superior? I mean, for all intents and purposes, it's the barrel right? A quality barrel with the right twist for conicals seems like it would be the ticket, not necessarily one brand or another of the whole gun.

Lots of the people on here will create their kit guns by assembling parts from all over. Wouldn't any frame and ignition system be just as effective given an appropriate barrel?

Say I wanted to make my Encore into a good conical shooter, couldn't I buy a GM barrel with the appropriate twist and a plug appropriate for BH 209 and have it all work properly?

I know the question may have been "Which rifle should I buy for a conical shooter?", but I am extending the question to "Can't I build a conical shooter to suit me?"

1st - unquestionably the Whites

2nd - probably the Knights

3rd - don't leave out the CVA Apex.

I will do more testing (eventually) to confirm but my first group of 3 with a .50 using Swiss powder and Batchief's 496 grain Trashcans went into 1 5/16" at 100 yards. The standard QRBP plug did very well at containing the blowback so I think that rifle has real promise as a conical shooter. I just started using sabots in the rifle and didn't get back to any further testing. Hope to also test a .45 Apex very soon and have a few conicals to try in it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Apex frame and barrel are fully capable of continued use of conicals.

You COULD build a conical shooter (as the barrel is all important) out of most any action but I can't see that being the basis for much discussion as it wouldn't be generally relevant.

ps: if your Encore does not work well with conicals now, the simplest way to go would be to have your barrel's QLA section removed and follow with a good crown job - provided your barrel is good otherwise. It should then do very well.

You could also purchase a Bergara drop-in for your Encore that should be a good shooter with intermediate weight conicals. I don't believe Green Mountain makes such a drop-in barrel. In any case, you could spend that money more reasonably on a new rifle that will shoot both conicals and sabot'd rounds very well.

The quality of the barrel, the depth of the rifling, the ratio of land to groove width, and the twist rate are all factors in determining the likely performance of a barrel as a conical shooter. Deep grooves are not good, faster twists for heavier conicals, and of course the things that set most any good barrel apart from junk - dimensional consistency and smoothness of bore. The Whites also have a very short flame channel and come with usually excellent, adjustable triggers.

guitarpicva said:
What about the ignition system on a White that makes it superior? I mean, for all intents and purposes, it's the barrel right? A quality barrel with the right twist for conicals seems like it would be the ticket, not necessarily one brand or another of the who

I know the question may have been "Which rifle should I buy for a conical shooter?", but I am extending the question to "Can't I build a conical shooter to suit me?"

Bullet sizing (fit)
Load testing
Lots of shooting

& yep you can build something to suit "you", guys are doing it all the time. What caliber are you thinking about ??

White Muzzloaders?

Where do they sell White ML? Which model do you recommended ??

I looked on Gunbroker and the only White ML that was for sale had trigger issues!

Love my Super 91-11......

You said one word WHITE , how about two, Deadly Accurate !!

Steve

Re: White Muzzloaders?

Bonecracker said:
Where do they sell White ML? Which model do you recommended ??

I looked on Gunbroker and the only White ML that was for sale had trigger issues!

This was part of my point. White's are as scarce as hen's teeth. Why not use an Encore frame and put an appropriate barrel on it?

To answer another question, I would think of a .45 cal barrel for conicals personally. Sectional density might be better? Am I thinking correctly?

I have never found a hen's tooth, but I found 4 White rifles for sale today... one of them a new in the box Blacktail model. :D

Back