Back to BP Rifle Shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieffan

Reaction score
Haven't shot black powder for abut 50 years. Built several kits back in the day. We inherited a Knight D.I.S.C. 50 cal that was not cleaned when last shot, who knows when that was. Over about a 4 month period and countless scrubbing and soaking cycles it didn't clean up to bad, except the breach end 12-14" is pitted. Rest looks good and shiny. Not sure I will shot this one but I may.

My main hunter will be a Knight Wolverine in 50 cal which I picked up at auction a few years ago. No breach plug so was under $100 with scope. Found a bolt conversion on line to go with the #11 percussion caps rather than the 209 primers. Breach end of the barrel is pitted some also but not real bad. Rest of the rifling looks real good. Last year a sporting goods store went out of business, was selling the inventory at 20% of the marked retail price. I picked up 3 boxes each of 50 gr and 30 gr Pyrodex pellets. I know about the corrosive nature of Pyrodex.

Having both the 50 gr and 30 gr pellets, what would be the recommended starting load for these rifles. Will be shooting a 340- gr cast bullet in a sabot as recommended by Knight, but don't remember the charge weight. Any/all information is appreciated.

Chieffan,

I just picked up a couple of Knights myself. One from the factory and 1 at auction. Haven't had time to shoot either but I can comment on the pitted bore.

I work with a fellow who gave a young friend of mine a Traditions Buckstalker that had been badly neglected. He figures it sat loaded after being shot for about 2 full years. I thought it was going to be a salvage job and end up with a free scope.

My young friend scrubbed it with a vengeance and the barrel still looked like a problem. Much worse than what you are describing. He shoots pellets and with 2 (50)g T7 pellets, a .429 cal 255 grain lead bullet, and an MMP sabot, It shoots just fine to 120 yards which is our maximum hunting distance at this time. This all started about 2 years ago and it seems like the more he shoots it and cleans it the better the bore looks.

But it shoots fine. I think the large, tight surface area of the sabot makes up for some of the rifleing that is missing or damaged. I think you can expect reasonably good accuracy. Not a tack driver but a deer killer at reasonable ranges.

Let us know.

My lk93 (wolverine), likes 100 gr. 777 pellets with a 300 gr bullet.

Snapbang, my thinking is right along with yours on the barrel condition. Many years ago I sporterized several old military rifles. Wht we found with them is if there is 16-18" of good rifling at the end of the barrel they will shoot a good group. Not tack drivers but good enough for 100 yd hunting.

I think I am going to start out with 80 gr to get the scope half way close. Then move up to where it holds a tight group at 100 yds and leave it there. Lot of variables so time will tell. Thanks much for the comments, might do some shooting tomorrow if it is not raining. Stay safe guys.

Back