awesome hunt this morning!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinginairos

Reaction score
Headed out this morning in over six inches of snow not expecting to see much. I came across some tracks heading up a ridge and followed them for about 1/4 mile when I spotted a one horned buck. As I was tryign to get a shot I spotted a few more deer and saw that one had a pretty nice rack. He was on top of the ridge and with the blowing snow and thick brush it was extremely hard to see anything. I managed to find an opening at around 120 yards and as he walked through it I squeezed the trigger. I saw deer scatter everywhere so I was unsure if I hit him or not. I walked up to where he was standing and found some blood. I walked maybe ten yards and almost stepped on him buried in the snow! he's not a monster but still a nice buck. I shot him with my TC Encore .50 using a 240 gr XTP with 110gr of BH209. I am REALLY proud of the shot. It took out the heart and both lungs!
16165_213150216181_502026181_3018539_7672426_n.jpg

16165_213150196181_502026181_3018536_4705137_n.jpg

16165_213162056181_502026181_3018625_1668389_n.jpg

flinginairos

Congrats on your fine harvest... Dang makes me want to get out some more but of all things here in Northern Idaho - it is RAINING!!!! and I mean Raining...

Very Nice--Good Job :applause: :applause:

Those XTP's are real killers--great shot.

Congrats on a Dandy Buck. You should be proud, making a long shot in those conditions is good shootin.

deer

Fling,

Good job there!!
Both my sons use XTP bullets and they are proven performers.
Enjoy that venison.
Butterfly backstrap steaks on the grill, YUM YUM!!

Mark :D

Re: deer

maggie221 said:
Fling,

Good job there!!
Both my sons use XTP bullets and they are proven performers.
Enjoy that venison.
Butterfly backstrap steaks on the grill, YUM YUM!!

Mark :D

Too bad I cant use my grill, it has over a foot of snow on it now!!! :shock:

Congrats,I was going to go out with the NEF ML but it was 8 degree's here in NY.So I sat down had a coffee and watched the outdoor channel instead.Might head out sunday if it warms up to the teens.

Steve

You should be proud of that shot... it was placed perfect. Tough shot under tough conditions. You did everything right, and was willing to get out there in bad conditions. I always liked hunting after or during a snow storm. I find the same thing... get a track and start walking it out. Way to go!!!

Congrats on your buck ..beautiful natural picture deer in the snow with a proud hunter ..lot better then in the back of a PIC-UP TRUCK with its tongue hangig out...

Excellent, you should be proud of your accomplishments as a young hunter. did you get the nice one from last year mounted ? That was a great hunt and nice pictures if I remember right.

Hell of a shot! Great job and a nice buck. Heard you guys got almost 2 feet out there. That storm is coming this way. Should be here around midnight. Theyre calling for 10 to 14". Wish we could hunt tomorrow (no Sunday hunting). The deer move like crazy in the snow.
I hope to get a buck before our seasons done.

Latest posts

Back