Are my Primers Garbage ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are deliberately weak to avoid lifting the bullet off the powder before the main charge goes off.
I’ve never heard anyone say that. But…they are weaker to reduce the crud ring. The load disruption issue was a supposed selling point for primer module type set ups.

Which breech plug do you have? Do newer CVA muzzleloaders come with the loose powder breech plug or still the flat faced plug for pellets? If you don't have the loose powder plug, you need to get one to reliably shoot BH209.
I have the loose powder breech plug that says BH209. I believe all of the .45cal CVA come with it

Load the 777 fffg ... in start with 50gr... try 60/70/80... thats my loads with a 50 with 777.... could probably shoot 100gr 777 safely. But not needed im my opinion at expected ranges....
what rifle are you shooting? I was very concerned using 3f. CVA says its not rated for the rifle and haven't heard of anyone using

So, your new primers are not garbage. I never have done this but you see other do regularly. This is the right place to ask MZ questions. If there is a solution you should be able find it here. May have to wait a day or a week but the answer is out there.
you're absolutely right! this thread has been particularly eye opening for me

theoretically.. this is pretty genius.
ever tried it?
Duplex loads been around a long, long time
your primers should be replaced with a hotter one
stay away from them if they are intended for muzzleloaders not the hottest from what I have heard use regular 209's meant for serious shotshell work with bh 209

Hi All,

new to muzzleloading purchased 100 Winchester 209 777 muzzleloading primers. upon further research it seems these are the weakest ones I could own.

for detail I have a CVA Accura MRX .45cal I intend to shoot BH209 and 200gn Hornady SST

from what I've gathered I would be better off with a "hotter" primer like CCI 209m. However, it seems there is a shortage of all things 209 primer

Are using these weak primers likely to cause a noticeable difference in safety and performance? or am I overstating this?

would I be better off finding a variflame adapter to use rifle primers? although seems a bit extreme considering I have yet to shoot the rifle
Winchester 209 777 primers are trash. I had the same problems. Poor powder burn, hang fires, the whole deal. The CCI 209 primers performed poorly for me in my Knight muzzleloaders. CCI would burn well and no hang fires, but poor accuracy.

I recommend you keep doing everything you are doing, but change to Federal 209A primers (they are in a blue box). Those consistently give a quick shot (no hang fire), excellent powder burn, and very good accuracy (0.5” MOA at 100 yards). Try just switching to that primer and I think you’ll be fine. Your powder/bullet/caliber/bullet weight sound great to me so I wouldn’t change any of that yet.

Primers make a huge difference with muzzleloaders. I was using one load and it was terrible, but I simply switched to Federal 209A primers and now I’m sub-MOA all day long without making any other adjustments.

777 Primers are pretty poor in my experience. In the past I've had issues getting them to light White Hots and even Pyrodex pellets. Switched to Federal Fusion Primers for a time, but I'm pretty sure they were discontinued. Been using Remington Kleanbore muzzleloader 209s for some time and haven't had any issues with Pyrodex charges. BH209 takes a fairly hot flame from what I understand. The go to for it seems to be Remington STS Primers if you can grab them.

Out of curiosity, what were you planning on hunting with that particular load and at what range?

333f 777 states 45rifle loads on the can... 99% sure... ill check when i get home... i shoot my 3f 777 out of a 12.5in ported .50 inline pistol.
this is the reason I purchased in the first place. I've seen limited load data for my gun and no to many recommendations so have been hesitant to use

777 Primers are pretty poor in my experience. In the past I've had issues getting them to light White Hots and even Pyrodex pellets. Switched to Federal Fusion Primers for a time, but I'm pretty sure they were discontinued. Been using Remington Kleanbore muzzleloader 209s for some time and haven't had any issues with Pyrodex charges. BH209 takes a fairly hot flame from what I understand. The go to for it seems to be Remington STS Primers if you can grab them.

Out of curiosity, what were you planning on hunting with that particular load and at what range?
I plan on hunting deer. would like to be efficient to 200yds with the intent of not hunting beyond 150. If I can exceed this, great, just trying to be realistic with expectations.
On hand I have 280gn Power belt ELR and am waiting for an order of .45/40 200gn SSTs. im leaning towards lighter .40 bullets out of a .45 sabot, just not sure what other options I have.

Latest posts

Back