Are my Primers Garbage ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deernewbie

Reaction score
Hi All,

new to muzzleloading purchased 100 Winchester 209 777 muzzleloading primers. upon further research it seems these are the weakest ones I could own.

for detail I have a CVA Accura MRX .45cal I intend to shoot BH209 and 200gn Hornady SST

from what I've gathered I would be better off with a "hotter" primer like CCI 209m. However, it seems there is a shortage of all things 209 primer

Are using these weak primers likely to cause a noticeable difference in safety and performance? or am I overstating this?

would I be better off finding a variflame adapter to use rifle primers? although seems a bit extreme considering I have yet to shoot the rifle

They might be ok in warm weather. I certainly would not depend on them lighting bh209 in cold temps. Try them and see how ignition is. If you get a chance to grab some different primers, anything NOT muzzleloader specific, grab them. Look in the shot shell reloading area of stores, anything there will be best.

I also have some triple 7 3F. would this be easier to ignite due to smaller particle size? I just don't know if it is safe for my rifle or where to start with load development

Which breech plug do you have? Do newer CVA muzzleloaders come with the loose powder breech plug or still the flat faced plug for pellets? If you don't have the loose powder plug, you need to get one to reliably shoot BH209.

Hi All,

new to muzzleloading purchased 100 Winchester 209 777 muzzleloading primers. upon further research it seems these are the weakest ones I could own.

for detail I have a CVA Accura MRX .45cal I intend to shoot BH209 and 200gn Hornady SST

from what I've gathered I would be better off with a "hotter" primer like CCI 209m. However, it seems there is a shortage of all things 209 primer

Are using these weak primers likely to cause a noticeable difference in safety and performance? or am I overstating this?

would I be better off finding a variflame adapter to use rifle primers? although seems a bit extreme considering I have yet to shoot the rifle
Load the 777 fffg ... in start with 50gr... try 60/70/80... thats my loads with a 50 with 777.... could probably shoot 100gr 777 safely. But not needed im my opinion at expected ranges....

What are everyone’s thoughts on this primer designed for skeet and trap loads? I use with 777 pellets I get an annoying crud ring. With 777 powder I still get the crud but 1/2 as bad. Are these hotter than most?
2 year old CVA Optima

Attachments

• C8D06D23-7204-4F8B-89EC-126CE0460501.jpeg
    C8D06D23-7204-4F8B-89EC-126CE0460501.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi All,

First lose the muzzle loading primers. They are deliberately weak to avoid lifting the bullet off the powder before the main charge goes off. They suck with BP substitutes (particularly BH209) and don't like sub 20 degree temps. Second, make sure you have approximately a .003" crush on your primers when you lock up the action to direct 100% primer fire to the charge. This will give you instant ignition and prevent hang fires in cold weather. A fire primer should be shiny on the sides with no carbon anywhere except the nose pointing towards the powder.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this primer designed for skeet and trap loads? I use with 777 pellets I get an annoying crud ring. With 777 powder I still get the crud but 1/2 as bad. Are these hotter than most?
2 year old CVA Optima
The Rem 209s are lower powered than some of the other options.

From the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook

94EA4E2F-2809-45DB-8DE5-D4FAD3B68FE8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back