Do you use a bullet starter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
Are many of you using a bullet starter for those hard to start bullets? If you are what are you using and does it have a threaded end for a bullet protector? The Barnes spitfires and TMZ's are a bit tough until you get them started. So I was thinking of getting a bullet starter and I wanted to get some input. I put a nice scratch on my good Dewey cleaning ? loading rod today trying to start a 285 grain Spitfire. :cry:

I use one at the range sometimes. This is a really good one in my opinion.

2006Muzzleloaderseason001-1.jpg

2006Muzzleloaderseason002-1.jpg

The picture below is with a loading tip screwed on.

2006Muzzleloaderseason003.jpg

Mine is the same shape as the TC shown above, except it has a brass rod and a wooden handle. I have a couple of jags made for the SST and have one permanently attached to it and carry it in my fanny pack. The second is in the pack for attaching to the rod when reloading.

Starter

Yes,I use the black plastic one supplied with my Savage.
As I shoot SST's,,I modified the starter a bit by drilling a hole into both tips and installing the plastic bullet starters that come with Precision Bullets.
As I said,I shoot Hornady SST's and they are Very Difficult to push down the bore once fouled.
Loading without a Bullet Starter would be virtually impossible without a starter and a clean bore !!
I actually broke my first TC Spin Jag on my first trip to the range. Third shot without swabbing and SNAP !!

I use the one Rifleman posted. My barrel is TIGHT with the HPH12 Hornady .452 250 grain XTP and I like it that way! Couldn't get one down the barrel without a bullet starter.

Are many of you using a bullet starter for those hard to start bullets?

I've gotten completely away from using a short starter except with patched ball. If a bullet is THAT hard to start(290gr TMZs) I just don't use it. A quick reload with a short starter would be almost impossible and just another thing I don't need in my pack.

Kristel, on the other hand DOES use one because that's just about the only way she can load a bullet.

Well I had a collapasable screw in t-handle laying around and a pr bullet cleaning jag that the head and screw end can be unscrewed. I unscrewed the threaded end and screwed in the t-handle (that folds flat). Then I unscrewed the cleaning / loading jag head and replaced it with a pr bullet plastic bullet protector. Call me cheap (most people do) :D , but it should help and it is compact in my rifle stock mounted pouch.

encoreguy said:
Well I had a collapasable screw in t-handle laying around and a pr bullet cleaning jag that the head and screw end can be unscrewed. I unscrewed the threaded end and screwed in the t-handle (that folds flat). Then I unscrewed the cleaning / loading jag head and replaced it with a pr bullet plastic bullet protector. Call me cheap (most people do) :D , but it should help and it is compact in my rifle stock mounted pouch.

:applause:

I use the T-handle one that Grouse posted with the TC Shockwave loading jag screwed on. It works really well.

I've only shot one ML-II, but I can't imagine getting any of the bullet/sabot combinations I have used started in my rifle without a starter. The 250 grain Shockwaves with HPH-24 are the easiest I have tried, but there's no way you could start this bullet with your hand (especially with the sharp plastic tip, although I have noticed the new ones in the stores these days have a slightly more rounded tip). Also, I tried to start this bullet without a starter once just using my factory supplied ramrod. The T-handle I had screwed in to my ramrod broke right off. Now I have a Power rod. The 300 grain XTP with short black sabot or the 300 grain SST with HPH-12 is even more difficult. You have to use a lot of muscle even with the short starter to go the first 4 or 5 inches. I had 2 friends at the range a while back and neither could get the 300 grain XTPs we were shooting fully pushed down the barrel. They are both quite a bit shorter than me and just couldn't get the leverage.

So, I guess I have a tight barrel. But, it shoots well.

I do not use a starter but my Savage has the first inch or so "relieved" in the barrel so it is easier to start, I think Savage did that for a period of time on the ML11.

Back