Anyone shot the new Hornady FBP in their smokeless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Looked back a few pages and didn't see any discussions.

My brother get's a monthly gun test mag, and he said they did a review of the new hornady .50 cal in a laminated 10ml, with sub moa results. I've yet to read the article, but plan too soon.

Has anyone tried this new bullet in their .50 cal smokeless? Has a pretty high bc, compared to other common .45 in sabots, right (from the sticky)?

I'm guessing it's weight would bring a bit more recoil, but it should pack plenty of punch and take one more variable out of the accuracy equation.

Would love to red your thoughts on this...

I have no idea, he didn't mention.

Do you think this bullet is up to smokeless pressure?

Don't tell anyone..but I actually HAVE shot the 350gr FPB in a 10ML-II with both BH209 AND VV-N-110 :shock: .

Groups with BH209 110gr by volume were dismal at best and I mean dismal. Velocity was in the 1500fps area(I'm at work) compared to the 1700fps area thru the longer barrel Triumph. I shot 34gr and 36gr(or was it 36 and 38gr, again I'm at work) of N-110 and velocites were in the 1400-1500fps area and accuracy was dismal. Ignition was immediate with both powders. I'm gonna try some more maybe...

Interesting. Makes me want to read that article even more, to see what they did. I have no idea what velocities they got, but I would have expected higher.

Would VV N 120 be e better match for the heavier weight of this bullet?

Well the BH209 group wasn't that dismal with the 250gr XTP... I was just messing around Monday:

IMG_0275.JPG

I guess a little over 2.5 inches isn't that bad... It might get better by going up on the powder charge a little...

IMG_0274.JPG

That's my FPB 350gr group with 110gr BH209.. Short barrel and long breechplug don't help velocities any... 1511fps on chrono... More powder MAY help group...

BTW....38gr N-110 and the 350gr FPB...1428fps.... Yeah N-120 would be better and I may try it..I was MAINLY checking ignition which was perfect. THAT group WAS dismal hense no picture!

I talked to my brother and you were right, the gun test article for this bullet did use BH 209.

Latest posts

Back