Tactical adventures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Hey guys I know several of you have recently gotten into the whole heavy barrel sniper rifle thing. JJ and Veater posted some nice pics of their rifles and Chuck also mentioned getting one. Also some mentioned going to a school to brush up on their shooting. Just wondered how that went and what kind of shooting results you all have been getting.
Also as a sidenote on ammo, surplus .308 ball ammo over the years has gotten a bad rap as not accurate enough for sniper rifle use, and for the most part that is true. However some of this stuff might surprise you. I know JJ likes to pull the trigger and a source of accurate cheap ammo would be fun to have around for plinking. While no ball ammo I am aware of will shoot sub moa like Fed match, or Black Hills for example, there are two surplus cartridges in 308 out there that shoot well enough to be interesting. First there is .308 Lake City Match, not really surplus ball, this is the stuff that military match shooters were issued and also the DCM handed out millions of rounds of this stuff. Accuracy varies from lot to lot, however most of it will shoot MOA and some will shoot sub MOA in individual rifles. This stuff can usually be bought anywhere from 8 - 12 dollars a box.
The other is British Radway Green. Berdan primed and possibly a tad bit corrosive in the primers ( but I am not sure about that, just that almost all berdan primers have a small amount of corrosive properties) this stuff will shoot. I have shot moa with this stuff in semi-autos! No longer available in bulk from retailers as it was all scarfed up a long time ago, one can usually score this on places like AR15.com from individuals. Top market price seems to be around .35 cents a round with the average around .25 cents. 5 dollars a box for pretty accurate plinking ammo is nothing to sneeze at.
FWIW
Rman

Dwight,
We have class scheduled on May 12th weekend.
I?ll let you know how we will do there.
As for the ammo I?m loading my own. It shoots pretty well from my TRG22. Better then I can shoot anyway.

Thanks Dwight that's good info. I had always heard LC match was good stuff!

Back