ANOTHER NEW SCOPE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
ANOTHER NEW SCOPE

I have gotta quit going to the gun shops! Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Guess I should be glad I don't live by Ed's or anywhere near Carlos! LOL!!

Anyway, I looked in their scope case & there sat a new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44. I should have kept walking but no! Out of the blue a voice asks, "Do you wanna look at a scope" Well.......OF COURSE I DO!

I have read up on these & the reviews have been great. I've had the rainguard coating before & it works great! Good thing, because on it's medium height mount there is no room for a cap. It just clears the barrel on my Apex M/L. It has a side parallax adjustment & a fast focus eye piece. After I adjusted the 2 settings, the image brightness & clarity is incredible! This thing rivals my Zeiss Conquest! Looking through it & moving your head off center causes very little shading. Amazingly so at 14X. Eye relief seems to be as listed at 3.6" Cost was $259.00. I didn't think that was bad at all. Hopefully we'll warm up & dry out soon so I can get to the range & give it a workout!

2013-04-11164838_zps8ad36103.jpg

2013-04-11164807_zpsfbba0fa5.jpg

2013-04-11164814_zps63effbeb.jpg

2013-04-11164819_zpsfec5563e.jpg

Re: ANOTHER NEW SCOPE

wow that sucker is huuge!! Looks like a great scope though. Any idea on the weight of it?

18.7ozs. and 14.7" long. It is big, but just slightly bigger than my Redfield Revenge 4-12x42. I just can't get over the glass in this thing!

I have a number of different scopes, but one of my favorites is my Bushnell Elite scope.

Good eye relief, clear & sharp glass, as you mention, quick to center and view through without "edge shading"

I agree with you, the upper end Bushnell scopes are really pretty good for a decent price!

Thunder53 said:
I have a number of different scopes, but one of my favorites is my Bushnell Elite scope.

Good eye relief, clear & sharp glass, as you mention, quick to center and view through without "edge shading"

I agree with you, the upper end Bushnell scopes are really pretty good for a decent price!
I had an Elite 3200 in 3-10 & it was a great & tough scope. As good as the glass was in those, this is noticeably better. I'm really impressed with the glass improvements in just the last few years.

That is not to put the Elites down at all. I remember when they were actually Bausch & Lomb but Bushnell wanted their name on their upper end scopes.

The Bushnell Elite I have is one of the newer "post 3200/4200" scopes and I agree that the glass is noticeably better.

For my eyes, pretty close to my Zeiss Conquest and Burris Six X, but to me the outstanding feature of the Bushnell is the easy "eye acquisition" of the viewing field without having to move your head or eye position around and the total lack of "shading" in the viewing field.

Thunder53 said:
The Bushnell Elite I have is one of the newer "post 3200/4200" scopes and I agree that the glass is noticeably better.

For my eyes, pretty close to my Zeiss Conquest and Burris Six X, but to me the outstanding feature of the Bushnell is the easy "eye acquisition" of the viewing field without having to move your head or eye position around and the total lack of "shading" in the viewing field.
I wondered if you had one of the newer Elites. They were a big step up in quality. You are right about acquisition. It does line up nicely & the eye relief is plentiful especially at 14x. The Conquest & Six-X are 2 of my all time favorites but these come in at a much reduced price with very comparable image quality. I also like their new "bulletproof" warranty that refunds my purchase price if I don't like it for any reason, rather than just giving me a different scope.

Bushnell bought out Bausch & Lomb several years ago. "Elite" was a B&L name that Bushnell acquired with the company. They marketed the B&L scopes as Bushnell Elites to try to garner a higher-priced market. They were just relabeled B&L scopes. B&L scopes were some of my favorites in the '70s.
I don't think they have maintained the high standards of B&L but that acquisition helped the higher-end Bushnell scopes attain respectability.

Thanks Marty! I love the way it looks & fits & it works very well with my tired eyes :)

patocazador said:
Bushnell bought out Bausch & Lomb several years ago. "Elite" was a B&L name that Bushnell acquired with the company. They marketed the B&L scopes as Bushnell Elites to try to garner a higher-priced market. They were just relabeled B&L scopes. B&L scopes were some of my favorites in the '70s.
I don't think they have maintained the high standards of B&L but that acquisition helped the higher-end Bushnell scopes attain respectability.
Yes, I have a 20 y.o. Bausch & Lomb Balvar scope and it is still excellent against all other scopes.

I would still tell you that the new Elites are as good or better.

Today's coatings are better, manufacturing processes are generally more refined, if not always applied.

Again, the outstanding quality of the new Elites is that they do not seem to be very critical of head/eye placement in order to quickly see a full field of view.

It is as bright & clear as my Zeiss Conquest, which is brighter & clearer than a VX2. I am blown away by the glass quality.

I just looked at the specs on that scope and the one thing that was disappointing on it was the eye relief (3.4 - 3.1"). The Leupold VX2 has a 1/2" more eye relief.

David

yoda4x4 said:
I just looked at the specs on that scope and the one thing that was disappointing on it was the eye relief (3.4 - 3.1"). The Leupold VX2 has a 1/2" more eye relief.

David
I have to tell you David, I am a huge fan of 3.5 to 4 inches of relief & I have never felt close to the eypiece at all, even at 14x. I found out a long time ago that posted eye relief is not always what they claim. I have a couple of 3" scopes & they feel like they are right on my eye. I would suggest you get one in your hands & check it out for yourself. That was what sold me.

Here's a former Leupold user review

By Tim - Nemesis of Rockchucks.

from Prosser, WA

About Me Enthusiast, Homeowner, Hunter
Site Member

This scope is the best value for the money that I have seen yet. Crystal clear optics, side parallax focus, rainguard, sunshade included, and well made. I have historically been a Leupold guy, but I heard some good stuff about this scope and decided to get one for a varmint rifle. I placed it on the rifle and compared it side by side with $300+ Leupolds. The Bushnell smoked it. By far. I feel like I am speaking blasphemy, but it's the truth. I will be getting another one for my .270. If it has one fault, it's that it is not at all petite. If you are looking for a compact scope, this is not it. Solid Quality with a lifetime warrantee.

Greg,

I tracked down this post because I am getting a .223 barrel for my new Apex SML for occasional coyote shooting (and for my wife to shoot at the range) and wanted to get reasonable/mid-priced, higher power scope.

I narrowed it down to a 4.5x14-40 Nikon Buckmaster and this Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5x14-44.

Unfortunately it seems Nikon is pushing the Buckmaster name but has changed the scope (look at recent reviews on Cabelas and many are buying the scope at a bargain price of $149, but are returning it because the quality is poor).

The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD seems like the better option and I can get one for about $240.

They are listed as being made in China now.

I was interested to see if you still like yours and if yours was also made in China? (I'm a little gun shy now based on the apparent Nikon "switcheroo")

Rich (AKA Thunder53)

Yes, I still like them & yes mine was made in China. They are a great quality scope, but I will also suggest looking at the Redfield Revenge 4-12 I believe it is. Not sure if Vortex makes one in their Crossfire line but any of these will do a great job for you. I hope this helps, Greg

Greg,

Appreciate the feedback.

I do have a 4x12-40 Vortex Diamondback on another gun I have given some thought to moving over, but then I've got to screw around and sight in two guns.

I've had great luck with my two year old "new model" Bushnell Elite and think I'll try the Legend Ultra HD.

They have the 1 year "Bulletproof" return policy if you don't like it, so I don't have much to lose.

Redfields are probably nice scopes, but they never really seemed to "work for my eyes", if that makes any sense.

My Bushnell Elite does, in fact, I would be hard pressed if asked to chose between my Elite and my Zeiss Conquest, I think I'd have to lean to the Elite.

Thanks again!

Thunder53 said:
Greg,

Appreciate the feedback.

I do have a 4x12-40 Vortex Diamondback on another gun I have given some thought to moving over, but then I've got to screw around and sight in two guns.

I've had great luck with my two year old "new model" Bushnell Elite and think I'll try the Legend Ultra HD.

They have the 1 year "Bulletproof" return policy if you don't like it, so I don't have much to lose.

Redfields are probably nice scopes, but they never really seemed to "work for my eyes", if that makes any sense.

My Bushnell Elite does, in fact, I would be hard pressed if asked to chose between my Elite and my Zeiss Conquest, I think I'd have to lean to the Elite.

Thanks again!
You are very welcome. Just yell if you need anything, Greg

Nothing wrong with Bushnell Especially when one is on a budget. I've had Bushnell Banner on a truck rifle and it looks like it's been through the war but keeps on going.

Back