A really really really bad day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we all have them at times but I still don't like them. The horrible terrible bad day started when I decided maybe i would shoot a 45 cal fast twist sidelock i had bought on an auction site. It looked like it was in perfect condition. It came with a 3 day inspection period. Of course when I bought it i looked it over . I shone a bore light down the bore. It looked shiny and like new.But I wasn't smart enough to check it thoroughly. I just put it in the safe since the weather was so crappy . Well I finally dug it out today. I took the nipple off and the clean out screw and greased them. Then I decided to run a patch with conditioner down the bore. That's when the bad day started . About halfway down the bore I felt a loose spot. It felt like the barrel had a bulge. I ran the patch several times but it didn't change things. It definitely felt like a loose spot. I was not a happy camper.

So back in the safe it went and I decided to sight in a 45 Omega.
It had a one piece scope base and mount. I was going to put an Omega scope on it but when I did it sit rather high. I prefer my scopes to sit down low next to the barrel.I didn't have a base so I did the next best thing. I put a Weaver scope on it that was not in use. It was a 6.5 x 20 with a big bell. It fit perfect.
So I decided to sight it in. The wind was howling at about 30 with gusts of 40 but I figured to sight it in at 50 yards to begin with the wind wouldnt be an issue.

I load everything up, head to the pasture. Unload and set up. Popped a couple primers. Get my powder ready. Darn, I didn't bring the powder measure. :wall: Bummer. So off I drive back to the house to get the powder measure.

I get back with the measure and go to put some powder in it only to realize I didn't bring the screw on cap for the powder bottle. :wall: So I use my fingers kinda like a funnel as I pour the powder from the wide mouth blackhorn bottle. That didn't work to bad. I didn't lose to much black gold on the ground.

I put the dead Center sabot and was ready to push the bullet down . No ramrod. I looked around. Nope not here. Then I remember I put it on the hood of the truck when I unloaded.. It wasn't there. I figured it fell off when I drove back to get the powder measurer. :wall: So I am realizing this is not a good day. I didn't want to give up yet so I drove slowly back looking intently along the way. Just before the house , there it was. I grabbed it and headed back.

I finally got to shoot. First shot was way high and right. One major adjustment and shot again.

Much better. Took a minor adjustment and shot 4 shots into one hole. Of course it was only 50 yards.

80 gr Blackhorn, federal 209a primer, 260 gr dead center sabot.
But since it was such a bad day I decided to leave it at that for now and go back out on a better day.
You ever have a day like that??? :wall:

The 6.5 x 20 weaver. It fit the base perfect as far as height.

the target. the one hole was before a minor adjustment . then 4 in one.

It started out badly but seems as if it ended pretty well.

Sounds like my every day days. If something can go wrong it will.

Man I hate those days. Reading that I just knew you had run over your ramrod. :D
The good news is, your omega shoots very good right out of the gate :yeah: Pretty rifle too.

Sorry to hear about the sidelock...bummer. So if the bore is bulged, does that mean its automatically of no use? I've never had a bulged rifle...but I have to think that some folks out there that bulge their rifles don't know any different and keep on shooting them.

WV Hunter said:
Man I hate those days. Reading that I just knew you had run over your ramrod. :D
The good news is, your omega shoots very good right out of the gate :yeah: Pretty rifle too.

Sorry to hear about the sidelock...bummer. So if the bore is bulged, does that mean its automatically of no use? I've never had a bulged rifle...but I have to think that some folks out there that bulge their rifles don't know any different and keep on shooting them.
I would be afraid to shoot it . The strength of the steel would be compromised and in my opinion not worth the risk , especially since it is a fast twist (1:21) for 500 gr conicals . I guess thats always the risk of auction sites
On a lighter notec i took my .54 GPR out and everything went good . I love that rifle .

WV Hunter said:
Man I hate those days:D

Yes it is a nice looking gun . I dont really need a 20x scope on it but i like the looks of it with that weaver so much that i am going to leave it on there . Them deer next year ought to look really big :)

that's why my range is right outside the back door of my house. It saves steps when I have to keep walking back and fourth between the house and the range table. I have sure had days like that.

Back