A day at the range is always a good day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodawg

Reaction score
I have been spending a lot of time at the range with the 45 Disc Extreme I picked up recently. All my shooting is done off a Lead Sled so I am removing all the movement I can to get good groups. I have mounted a Leupold VXII 3x9 on it, I had picked up a bunch of different bullet sabot combos (Barnes TC and Hornady) and jug of 777. Of all the bullet sabot combos my best load by far had been 100 grs 777 and a 200 gr SST with the tan sabot 5 shot groups are well under 2 inch normally closer to 1 inch this is going to be a great deer load for where I am at. I was disappointed in the Barnes in that I could not get decent groups with them at all.

But I had been itching to try out some BH209 so I grabbed a bottle along with a box of CCI 209M primers grabbed the gun and hit the range this morning temps were low 70's and overcast.

Started out with TC shockwaves and 80grs BH the green sabots loaded really hard and groups were in the 10 inch range :huh?: :shock: Ok stepped up the load to 90grs to see if that made a difference it shrunk the groups but the sabots were very hard to load I never had this problem with 777. Put away the TC SW and grabbed the SST 200gr with the Tan sabots they loaded a whole lot easier snug but easy to load and accuracy was right where it should be at 2 inch groups were about 3 inches high. Ok now we are getting somewhere I stepped up the load to 100grs BH the 5 shot group shrunk to just over 1 inch and were only 1 inch high which tells me that this load is shooting a lot flatter then the 90gr load. This is where I am leaving it for now I have more of the SST's coming this week as I ran out of all I had.

Hunting season is 2 months away :D

Sounds like some good shooting and fun time at the range :yeah:

gizmodawg said:
I was disappointed in the Barnes in that I could not get decent groups with them at all.

My Expanders shot best when knurled and placed in a Harvester light blue sabot and pushed with 120gr BH209
23b1352e-ff0f-49f4-b4c3-bc2fc8b1db49_zps53fac5b4.jpg

Started out with TC shockwaves and 80grs BH the green sabots loaded really hard and groups were in the 10 inch range

Green Sabots in a .45 caliber? :huh?:

I thought Green was for .429 -.430 bullets in a .50 caliber.

ShawnT said:
Started out with TC shockwaves and 80grs BH the green sabots loaded really hard and groups were in the 10 inch range

Green Sabots in a .45 caliber? :huh?:

I thought Green was for .429 -.430 bullets in a .50 caliber.

TC packages green with some of their .40 shockwaves. I have several packs, in fact that is the ones I've been shooting out of my elite.

I don't know why the companies have to have "special" stuff made for them, which just makes it confusing. Knight does the same thing, as do some other companies. Well I guess I probably do know... then when you go to buy bulk green sabots for .40 and can't find em, you have to buy pre-packaged (ie: cost more). Its a racket.

Oh Ok, now it makes since. Figured there had to be something I was missing. Guess I have not see those. Thanks for the info.

ShawnT said:
Oh Ok, now it makes since. Figured there had to be something I was missing. Guess I have not see those. Thanks for the info.

Yeah. And right now I'm having a brain fart, can't remember which sabots the "green" actually are (in normal color). :d'oh!:

They look like the Tan MMP sabots just green. Tan MMP sabots are what comes with the Hornady SST and the Barnes Expander. I am going to have to mic one to see if they are slightly thicker

GM... yeah I thought it was the Tan. So you are saying the Tan and Green are slightly different size...I didn't know that.

What sabot's do the pre-packaged Shockwaves (200gr / .40 cal) come with now? Pretty sure the pre-packaged SST's come with the Tan.

Isn't there really only a few .45/40 sabots to choose from? Tan MMP's, and Harvester Light blue & CR?

The older T/C green was tighter. Not sure about new stock. The old one may have been the same as the OLD Knight brown. Both seem tight and brittle to me. The new Knight brown appears to be the same as the MMP Tan.

As far as i know there are 3 current 45x40 sabots. Any current variations are just a different color.
MMP Tan
Harvester blue smooth
Harvester blue crushrib

Both the Harvesters appear to be the same .454 but the Crushrib is easier to load.

Latest posts

Back