A DAY AT THE RANGE IN SE MINNESOTA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
Left the house at 9AM, the truck mirror said 6 above, no wind, light snow, My plan was to zero in my new project, a camo omega with a eabco peep sight system and a camo Nikon Omega 250 BDC. The scope is mounted with Warne quick detach high rings. First shot at 100 yards at a 4 foot by 4 foot target, nothing :? . Went back to 25 yards and was way low, moved the scope up to were I was a little low at 25 yards and went back to the 100 yard target. STILL VERY LOW :( . Moved the scope up some more and came to the end of my adjustment :evil:. Shot again and was six inches low at 100 yards. Now I am getting very disgusted, ready to pack up and head home. After I settled down a little I decided that I might just as well stay and figure out what bullet and sabot the gun likes, still could get that part done even though the scope is low :) I had 8 different kinds of bullets along and 9 different types of sabots (watch the classifieds later) I shot all the bullets with several different sabots (like recomended here on the forum) Got some pretty good groups on a lot of them, but the one that worked out the best and had the least amount invested in was the Hornady 250 GR/XTP #45200 and the 300 grain and under harvestor sabot, shot 6 shot group under an inch, I have never shot that good before!!! and that was the last bullet I shot of the day. Should have started with that one first :!: If you hung in there this long with me :oops: could you help me with my scope problem PLEASE :?: THANKS JOE PS I will be listing for sale when my typing finger gets rested up some BARNES TMZ'S, some PARKERS, all kinds of shockwaves and some Hornady SST. Forgot to mention it was 17 degrees when I headed home at 3PM.

Ya gotta love the XTP's! Most rifles will shoot one of the .452 or .430 XTP's really well, and they are inexpensive and kill deer.

Good job.

I shot today also, but it was balmy 20 degrees in southern PA. :wink:

Sorry--I did not help you out with your scope problem...

You may have to shim the back of your scope base. Even though the Omega's scope mounting holes are ridiculously close together, putting a thin shim of aluminum or brass under the back two holes will "tilt" your base and scope up and give your shots more height.

I have done it with the aluminum from a soda can--it is thin enough to trim with scissors, and you can spot your screw holes with an ice pick if you don't have a set of transfer punches. Fold it over three or four times and this should give you about .012 or .015" I think, and should get your shots up. You may need to go higher.

I think that's what I did for an Omega and a Leupold scope that did not have enough elevation adjustment a couple years ago.

Good luck.

I believe Medium Rings might work better. Others will be sure to comment.

What might help is switching front ring to back, back to front. Once in awhile it makes a difference in scope alignment. Make sure both rings are correctly positioned in the slots, see if that front one's recoil lug is bottoming in the slot - it shouldn't be.

Hey paia,

Which sabots work best with those .430 XTPs? I just got a certificate for a free 100 of them when I picked up my powder measure.

Thanks,
Alex.

Great report Billy!

Nothing will walk away from that 300g XTP :wink: 8)

And......If you have some of those 200g Shockwaves/SST's that did'nt perform well for ya, I'd take them all off your hands :D :wink:

Did you shoot any just using the peeprib ring?

If so, what did you think of the system...

cleboje said:
Did you shoot any just using the peeprib ring?

If so, what did you think of the system...
Shot that last weekend before I got the scope mounted it worked great, but I think that is what is causing all my problems, had to have high rings so I would not have to disturb that system.

jsteurrys said:
I believe Medium Rings might work better. Others will be sure to comment.
Cannot use them if I want to keep the peep rib undisturbed.

lane said:
Great report Billy!

Nothing will walk away from that 300g XTP :wink: 8)

And......If you have some of those 200g Shockwaves/SST's that did'nt perform well for ya, I'd take them all off your hands :D :wink:
Have twelve left, what are they worth to you shipped?

Billy

Medium rings might work, but you will have to unscrew the peep ring from the ramp to allow the scope to fit....

Once you have the peep sighted in, all you have to do is quick-disconnect the scope and screw the peep ring back onto the ramp and you should be good to go.

If this works, you could go back to the medium rings and not have to shim the base.

Cleboje

I have a buddy that has an Omega. He wanted to put a Leupold scope with 65 MOA of adjustment, it was either shim up the back base or buy a scope rail with 20 MOA built into it. Your Nikon Omega has 80 MOA of adjustment, if you are 6" low with 40 MOA of adjustment from the center, you need at least 20 MOA, and even with that it will leave you approximately 14-15 MOA from the edge. There are alot of companies building MOA into the scope rails for T/C Encore/Omega/Triumph rifles, because they need it. Do a search for 20 MOA Scope Rail or Scope Base, look around for one that you prefer. Here is just one example, and there are several custom ones out there too. They are tapered from back to front to compensate for T/C's problem.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Also do as UC suggested, but it sounds as if you will need more than that will possibly give you. Do yourself and your scope a favor and get one of the 20 MOA bases/rails.

cleboje said:
Billy

Medium rings might work, but you will have to unscrew the peep ring from the ramp to allow the scope to fit....

Once you have the peep sighted in, all you have to do is quick-disconnect the scope and screw the peep ring back onto the ramp and you should be good to go.

If this works, you could go back to the medium rings and not have to shim the base.

Cleboje
That would probably work taking out the apperature, but how much will I gain goimg from high to medium in scope adjustment?

Busta said:
I have a buddy that has an Omega. He wanted to put a Leupold scope with 65 MOA of adjustment, it was either shim up the back base or buy a scope rail with 20 MOA built into it. Your Nikon Omega has 80 MOA of adjustment, if you are 6" low with 40 MOA of adjustment from the center, you need at least 20 MOA, and even with that it will leave you approximately 14-15 MOA from the edge. There are alot of companies building MOA into the scope rails for T/C Encore/Omega/Triumph rifles, because they need it. Do a search for 20 MOA Scope Rail or Scope Base, look around for one that you prefer. Here is just one example, and there are several custom ones out there too. They are tapered from back to front to compensate for T/C's problem.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Also do as UC suggested, but it sounds as if you will need more than that will possibly give you. Do yourself and your scope a favor and get one of the 20 MOA bases/rails.
I really want to keep my peep rib if possible?

5alarm435 said:
Hey paia,

Which sabots work best with those .430 XTPs? I just got a certificate for a free 100 of them when I picked up my powder measure.

Thanks,
Alex.

My Omega has always shot best with the smooth green Harvester sabots and the .430/300 XTP, but my Omega is also five or six years old and not very tight bored.

It seems the newer T/C's are tighter and most shoot better with the green Harvester Crush Ribs. Harvesters come in packs of 50--you could try both.

I never had much luck with MMP sabots for .430 bullets, but others have.

Billyzink wrote: That would probably work taking out the apperature, but how much will I gain goimg from high to medium in scope adjustment?

Billy, I am not sure how many MOA you would gain by going with the medium rings, but if your scope is maxed out, and is still too low, with the high rings, it stands to reason that the medium rings would give you enough MOA to work with...but I am no expert on the subject.

I also just got the peeprib system and got the scope to mount with medium Warne rings, but had to unscrew the peep ring to get it to fit...I have not wrung it out on the range yet.

Cleboje

You can shim the base to get the extra elevation but with the EABCO system why not purchase some Burris Signature rings and get the offset insert package which is a little extra. YOu can dial the elevation and windage with just the offsets. I am not a fan of these rings but they do work and will hold that scope tighter then any other combo out there. I have been looking at that EABCO setup myslef and believe I would go Signature as well.

On the Eabco system there is an adjustment screw towards the front of the base that will raise elevation and act as a front shim. Check that to make sure it wasn't screwed in when you mounted the base.

You may remember from the other tread I got the same set up besides that scope. I didn't get to shoot mine yet, looking like 3 more weeks now. Anyway, I bore sighted it with a lazer ar 25 yards and got enough adjustment for bore sighting. I know, that don't mean much until I shoot it.

I started of with a 300 grain XTP and shot very tight groups . Then this past summer i ( don't know why ) thought i would try some other bullets sabot combos . Guess what nothing came close to to being as accurate as the xtp in my Encore and I spent around 75.00 doing this . Ran into a friend while elk hunting and he did the same thing .

Back