.... 58 is ready for the season........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
8)
Yesterday was a great day to be out shooting. Temp around 63*'s no sun and a heavy grey sky with no wind or skeeters. I patched up a target that was down range and used it to make big holes. It was used for making 22 holes. Here's how things went.
IMG_1983_zpsci2qs4p1.jpg
IMG_1986_zpsbkrmhwgi.jpg

Target on the left were my 1st, 3 shots with a clean, cold rifle. I did pop off 1 cap to make sure the nipple was dry.
Target on the left were my last 7 shoots of the day. Between the first 3 and the last 7, I shot 10 rds at the steel plates. That's a total of 20 rds.
Reason I'm mentioning that is, I didn't swab the barrel at all until I was done for the day. I didn't have to fight with the 20th ball to get it down the barrel either.
I did all my shooting from the 50 yard benches and I used a CALDWELL TACK DRIVER rest. This is my load.
A .570 Hornady ball, .018 patch with my friends Jonathan's anti rust and lube worked into the patch, 70/75 grains OLD EYNSFORD 2F powder and to get the ball rolling ( LOL ) a #11 CCI Magnum P/C.
As you can see that the last 4 shots are a little to the left. Maybe I was stretching it by not swabbing and the barrel and it was getting a little dirty. Who knows................
I collected some of my shot patches but forgot to take a pic so I will say this, there were no holes or tears and none were burnt. They had the normal black circle like they should.
My .58 cal Hawken is ready as far as i'm concerned and I wouldn't have any problems aiming at a deer this season that's out to 75/ 80 yards or so.

Ray..........................GOOD HUNTING EVERYONE.

you got a good shooting rifle there. It will definitely harvest game for you.

Back