58 caliber Smoothbore Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with turkey loads in a 58 Cal. Smoothbore? I have a TK2000 that I've hunted with the last few years and killed a number of turkeys with it using #9 TSS and I've heard of people using 410 shotguns with the same pellet size so why couldn't you do the same with a sidelock?

I’m currently finishing a Kibler Colonial flintlock in 58. It’s a smooth bore that I also paid a gunsmith to hone a jug choke into. It’s old school technique to act as a choke to improve pattern. Of course it’s not a super turkey choke by any means but it definitely increases the useful range. My intention is to use it for a turkey and small game gun. TSS shot would need the proper shot wad for protection of the bore I’m guessing.

I’m currently finishing a Kibler Colonial flintlock in 58. It’s a smooth bore that I also paid a gunsmith to hone a jug choke into. It’s old school technique to act as a choke to improve pattern. Of course it’s not a super turkey choke by any means but it definitely increases the useful range. My intention is to use it for a turkey and small game gun. TSS shot would need the proper shot wad for protection of the bore I’m guessing.
That was one of my concerns about Tss without a shot cup if it would ruin a barrel. I'm planning on going westward next year on a hopefully multi state Merriams hunt and would like to take my bow and a sidelock as weapons of choice.

Here are a couple test fire patterns with my 58 cal/24 ga. This barrel has had a jug choke operation preformed. 25 yards 75 grains of 3F Goex. The unmarked pattern was shot with 1 1/8 oz #4 lead the wad stack was 1 wool wad shot topped with another wool wad.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 0
Here are a couple test fire patterns with my 58 cal/24 ga. This barrel has had a jug choke operation preformed. 25 yards 75 grains of 3F Goex. The unmarked pattern was shot with 1 1/8 oz #4 lead the wad stack was 1 wool wad shot topped with another wool wad.

Try dropping to 55-60 gr powder (about 2.5dr) it might tighten up a tad

Lots of testing left to do for sure. This was the first time ever firing the gun after completing the build. Hopfully I will get a nice calm day to go out and start working on finding out what she really likes. I was pleased with the pattern though for a first attempt.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with turkey loads in a 58 Cal. Smoothbore? I have a TK2000 that I've hunted with the last few years and killed a number of turkeys with it using #9 TSS and I've heard of people using 410 shotguns with the same pellet size so why couldn't you do the same with a sidelock?
Tss ?

I think you can with shotcup to be safe.

These guns are choked good the tk and those 410.

The cylinder is open at that range. tss or lead in the bird that's all... your going to put that shot all over the bird.

I just think it's good for your teeth.. I have bad teeth I don't need to Crack a tooth is small shot.

Back