.54 Cal, “LIL Heartbreaker” Paper Patch Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you here DL 👍

I swear by “Land Rider” Bullets for Target, Your Thumb and Index finger on the Ram/Range Rod is all that’s needed to Get them down on the Powder. For a Hunting load, i want my Bullets about .002 Over Bore for a Good Snug Fit all the way Down, Giving me Confidence they will Stay Firmly put on the Powder Charge While i Stumble my Way Through the Brush Etc. In hopes of Coming Across a DUMB Elk, Preferably Blind, And Can’t Hear anything? 🤣

Have you ever Sized Lead Conicals before? LUBE is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, Depending on how far down you Size? You will get BAD “Finning” But if you Roll the Bullet Across a Lube Pad Etc. And get them Well Lubed, They will Nearly FALL through the Sizing Die, The Difference Between Un-Lubed Vs Lubed Lead Conicals When Sizing is UNREAL. Lube is your BEST FRIEND Here 👍

I plan on Doing a Short Video on Sizing Lead Conicals, The Do’s and Don’ts, I might do that today
Good reminder 👍on the benefit of a "Snug Fit". I'm always paranoid about my load coming loose after a day's-hunt or bump. I would sometimes re-seat the bullet just for piece of mind. Not all my loads fit as snug as I'd like...and therein lies the advantage of casting your own precision bullets like you do.

Hey Lewis Desperate Lee here, moved over from the MM Forum so i can catch some more of your wisdom. I have decided to bore size my 410 grn conicals and to see how they shoot. Waiting on my .499 sizing die to show up. If need be i can always open it up.
DL
Welcome 'Lee. Great Avatar.:thumbs up:. Ever see the movie "Home Range" 😁

Lewis what size do these drop at? .533?

Yes, .533 Spot On 👍

When ordering an Accurate Bullet Mold, a Guy has to Remember that Tom @ Accurate Molds has a +/- Tolerance window of .002, i always go with his PLUS Tolerance, that way i am Guaranteed the Diameter i ask for

Marty
Thats where i got it from. The movie "Open Range" is one of my all time favorites along with "Lonesome Dove" another Duvall movie.
DL

Yes, .533 Spot On 👍

When ordering an Accurate Bullet Mold, a Guy has to Remember that Tom @ Accurate Molds has a +/- Tolerance window of .002, i always go with his PLUS Tolerance, that way i am Guaranteed the Diameter i ask for
Good to know, I’ve got a .54cal MK85 I’d like to get a mold for.

You'd be surprised at what a 1:48 twist can do with conicals.

ABSOLUTELY!! I have seen a few 1:48 Twist rifles that Shot Bullets just as well as my Fast Twist Bullet Barrels. I have a Bone Stock .54 Cal TC Hawken Kit Barrel that i got Brand new, i gave it a HIGH LUSTRE Polish (Lee Shaver Break in Method) This Barrel Shoots LIGHTS OUT Good 👍

You'd be surprised at what a 1:48 twist can do with conicals.
My 1-48 shoots heavy lead pretty well with only 65 gr of 2F Swiss pushing a 460 NE. After 65 grains accuracy goes haywire. I was a little concerned using such a light charge for hunting. However after seeing it bang flop a deer at 45 yds, going thru both shoulders before smacking stop into a locust tree.
Let's just say I am no longer concerned.;)

Lewis
i would love to see a video on sizing big lead. I dont feel i will have a problem but some more info will never hurt anything. :thumbs up:
DL

Last edited:
I know you shoot a Knight Mountaineer, have you tried these paper patch slugs there in the Mountaineer?

Guys what do you think about a 1-48 in .40 caliber for shooting long range, ball or slugs? A .40 caliber in a muzzleloader is a new game to me and advise would help. Still pondering this idea.

My 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 40/70 1/4 seems to shoot fine using a cheap Lee mold, Model 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 diameter) 175 grain Truncated Cone with duplex loads. I use a custom mold to hunt with - same diameter but 400 grain that is a butt kicker with the duplex load.
_________________________________________________________________________________
12/24/2020

Now really considering a different gun for a build that Doc suggested. Doc will furnish the parts and Carl Walker will build the gun, then Doc will do his accurizing to the finished product to make it live up to its name. The first one will be built later this new year.

367/300 Super Slug (BC= .33)

This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear. The bore mikes .368 land-land, with a groove depth of .375. Twist is 1-14. Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter, then is sized to .367. It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P. It’s sure to be a good killer on deer sized game. Recoil is surprisingly mild.

new.jpg

A similar combination was used by the White Muzzle loading target team to win the 2007 Manufacturer’s Match with record scores.

Thanks

Last edited:
Guys what do you think about a 1-48 in .40 caliber for shooting long range, ball or slugs? A .40 caliber in a muzzleloader is a new game to me and advise would help.

My 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 40/70 1/4 seems to shoot fine using a cheap Lee mold, Model 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 diameter) 175 grain Truncated Cone with duplex loads. I use a custom mold to hunt with - same diameter but 400 grain that is a butt kicker with the duplex load.

Thanks

Guys what do you think about a 1-48 in .40 caliber for shooting long range, ball or slugs? A .40 caliber in a muzzleloader is a new game to me and advise would help.

Thanks

On that .40 I hear nothing but good, There was a "Prize" shooter Mr.Flintlock did some impossible shots for Outdoors Channel he stated many times the .40 was his preferred Patch round and long distance very doable. Man .40 smoke pole kinda jealous I am

Back