.45 or .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fisher, a bullet traveling at 120g of BH speed out of my Knight that will bust a deer shoulder and hold together... ideally a bonded 200 Shockwave. I've splintered more than one shoulder with the bonded 250 and it held together perfectly. I did order some Extreme Elite 240's... but would probably have to keep the charge around 90-100g for them to work properly on game.

Swampman said:
I thought the problem with .45s was the lack of a good sabot?

Not true at all. The problem with a 45 is lack of good bullets in .40 diameter (sans the Barnes IMHO). Most all of the 10 mm/40 S&W bullets are too light (150'ish grain). As opposed to the .45 pistol bullets that so many of us shoot out of our saboted 50s.

Harvester offers light blue smooth and crush rib .45/.40 cal sabots. I have experienced very good performance from the smooth sabot. I have not tried the crush rib sabot.

MMP offers sabots in .45/.40 and .45/.357. I have not given either enough shooting time to comment on them.

my next rifle i am going to put together is a .45cal cva mountain rifle, i sold one last year on "accident" and regret it. That was easily my #1 best shooting .45 muzzle loader. Next up was the Winchester Apex .45 that corey now owns. I always shot Powerbelts in them and never had any problems with accuracy but i know 99% here prefer sabots. Minus Batchief, Hes a BS conical shootin guy.

NimrodRx said:
The Hawk .40 offerings won't be available for mass production until February'ish.

I don't know a single person that has switched to a 45 and gone back to the 50. I know I won't.

Actually, I did. But not because I don't like the idea of having a .45. I had a couple .50's--T/C Black Diamond and an Omega--and decided to try a .45 and ordered an Winchester Apex when they first came out (2003?) in .45.

I liked the Apex OK, but it was not the rifle I think the Omega is so I wound up selling it and have shot .50's ever since--now I have two Omegas and a Savage.

I am not anti-.45 at all though. If a company like Knight or T/C made a .45 I would be very interested in trying it out, especially since Blackhorn209 came out.

BTW--thanks for the info on the Hawk bullets. And my Omegas shoot the Barnes .40/195 bullet very well with the MMP Blue sabot and I would hunt with them with confidence. I'd like to see a tougher .40 SST and look forward to trying the Hawks.

And I keep a casual eye out for a nice American made .45, like the Knight Extreme to buy... :wink:

PR Bullets

Precision rifle is offerring a Christmas sale that ends Jan 8th, this isn't their recession sale, but a new one! They have Dead centers for $8-$10 a pack, and Extreme elites as low as $5 a pack! I might put in an order tomarrow! Any one else local interested in group buy, let me know! The dead Centers are normally $14.50 a pack!

i like a white in 410 cal with a big bullet sumthing like a 455gr pill :wink: sum of you no what i mean 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back