.45 DISC Elite Range Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
The Leighs do have roughly a .500 "powder pocket". Im not toally sure if its good or bad in a 45cal but mine seems more consistent with it than with a FPJ plug. I wanted to try one with a pocket just large enough for the liner but by then he got busy.
Last winter i started using a 5/16" drill to make the pocket, whenever i modified a plug. It just seemed right. I also make the pocket in homemade plugs 5/16" diameter by using a 5/16" round end mill.

This requires i turn the vent liner head to 5/16". Attempting to turn a Lehigh vent liner from 3/8" to 5/16" is when i learned just exactly how 'hardened' they are. Had to purchase a carbide cutter to get the job done; steel cutters made me think the machine was running backwards.

The 5/16" pockets have all been 100% reliable all through sub-zero weather last winter. Right or wrong, this diameter seems to be best to me, however i have no real science to support my feeling.

At any rate, i will eliminate the diameter of the powder chamber, as being a reason my rifle isn't performing better.

The over sized .465 CVA plug you made for me seemed fine too. IMO it acts a little like a bottle neck cartridge and might help. It does seem to help get a better burn. If that better burn creates better accuracy, i cant prove it.

I do know some guys have made a recess in "the other" 45s and even 50cal Savage type plugs with success. I guess it is still about geometry and the goals you want.

Best of luck. Try going higher and lower charges with the 200gr. My most accurate load was 80-90gr and a 180gr XTP/GD. By MOST i mean most repeatable and consistent. 200gr bullets liked 100-110 and was nearly as consistent. I couldn't tell much of a difference and i never exceeded 120gr yet....at least that i remember.

Ive got a good selection of 180gr-200gr 40s if you want to try some. I even have some of the Barnes 155gr XPBs which are a hoot to shoot. :D

GM54-120

Do i recall correctly that you have been shooting 0.458 bullet naked in your 45? If so, any hints. I just ordered some of them 325g FTX, and am planning to try them in my rifle. Also am wondering about the Socom; may have to give them a try. Am real curious as to whether i will be able to get the FTX down the barrel. The 260g PT are much too loose in my rifle.

Before modifying I would switch to Harvester light blue smooth sabots and back down to 100gr with the 200gr SST's. The plug I have in my .45 is the Lehigh Gen II plug. I have the Lehigh Knight plug in my Green Mtn 54-120 but have not shot that plug yet.

I have an origional Knight NFPJ that you modified for me. I do believe the powder pocket is not as large in diameter as the new Lehigh Knight plug. I will mail it off to you with some Harvester smooths.

Edit: The powder pocket is just a shade bigger then a Lehigh vent liner head on this one you modified. I do not think you opened the flash channel fom 1/8th to 5/32 as I did not ask you to. This size powder pocket should be the size you are seeking, well maybe just a shade larger but smaller then the Lehigh Knight you have. It will be in the mail tomorrow.
plug.jpg

get-attachment-3.jpg

ronlaughlin said:
GM54-120

Do i recall correctly that you have been shooting 0.458 bullet naked in your 45? If so, any hints. I just ordered some of them 325g FTX, and am planning to try them in my rifle. Also am wondering about the Socom; may have to give them a try. Am real curious as to whether i will be able to get the FTX down the barrel. The 260g PT are much too loose in my rifle.

I am playing around with the 250gr. FTX in .452 with my White .451 from Flounder. They measure .451 with the calipers and load like a firm sabot until you get them in the powder column area. Then they get REAL tight. I took a mallet and a jag for pointy bullets and gently tapped the bullet through and out the breach. It had the rifling lightly engraved so I thought why not give it a try. I used 100gr of T7 2f and it actually shot pretty good. I was very encouraged. I love shooting the big lead but there are so many cool looking rifle bullets in .45 cal that I think it would be fun to shoot them too if possible. I don't want to cut my barrel to make a Swinglock sizing die but bullets that are reasonably close I think I can "pre-rifle" by smearing a little lube on them and using the barrel as a sizing die. It's more work but what the heck, that's what's fun about this sport - experimenting!

GM54 - Do you think annealing the bullets first would help with the "barrel sizing" technique?

Be blessed.

Omega45 said:
........................I have an origional Knight NFPJ that you modified for me. I do believe the powder pocket is not as large in diameter as the new Lehigh Knight plug. I will mail it off to you with some Harvester smooths................................
You are too kind. Thank you!

I modified the Knight NFPJ breechplug with a vent liner except mine is flush with the front face meaning no powder pocket. I opened up the primer pocket to .243" and use an "o"-ring for a seal. The flame channel is .178" to reduce the pressure on the primer pushing it into the firing pin hole. I have no blowback except for some minimal primer leakage around the anvil. I am using this set-up in all of my DISC based guns.

ronlaughlin

Not yet on the big ones but the little 225gr FTX might just be worth the effort for fun loads and are much easier to stabilize in a 1-30 twist. They fit perfect too in one of mine after going through a Lee .451 die. I doubt mine would stabilize over a 250gr.

The Harvesters fall down that barrel and need just a little knurling for a good fit. Once my .498 die arrives i will be set to try a few more options and rifles.

JSstanley, you only anneal solid copers like Barnes. There is no need on a jacketed bullets and im not so sure im comfortable shooting a solid copper sabotless.....yet. :D

Back