.45 DISC Elite Range Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega45

Reaction score
Last month I snagged this .45 Elite off big6x6 in the classifieds for a very good price. Upon delivery the gun was super clean. The bore was shiny as factory new! I took a chance by not shooting it prior to cosmetic surgery. The stock took a trip to Black Ice in Utah for dipping and the barreled action went to Jarhead Airsmithing to be Duracoated. The barreled action was Duracoated in no time since he is local. It was sandblasted, parkerized and 3 coats of Duracoat HK Black was applied. The stock arrived via UPS today and I had it on and the scope mounted in time to hit the range for a quick 50yd initial sight in and to get aquainted with the trigger.

.45 DISC Elite as purchased from big6x6
discelite.jpg

Completed .45 DISC Elite
Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40AO DOA 600, Leupold Std bases / rings
Lehigh Gen II breech plug
utf-8BSU1HMDAwODItMjAxMTA1MDktMTQ0MS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODMtMjAxMTA1MDktMTQ0MS5qcGc.jpg

Hows it shoot? First target shot after bore sighting. Shot 1, low left, 18 clicks right and 18 clicks up. 1st 3 shot group, 100gr BH209, 200gr SST's, tan MMP sabots and Rem STS primer.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzctMjAxMTA1MDktMTMzOS5qcGc.jpg

100gr BH209, Barnes 195gr MZ, tan MMP sabot, Win209's
utf-8BQmFybmVzIDExMCB3aW4uanBn.jpg

110gr BH209, 200gr SST, Harvester light blue sabot, Win209's
utf-8BU1NUIDExMCBIYXJ2LiBXaW4uanBn.jpg

110gr BH209, 200gr Harvester Funnel Mags, Harvester light blue sabot, Win209's
utf-8BZnVubmVsIG1hZy5qcGc.jpg

110gr BH209, Barnes 195gr MZ, Harvester light blue sabot. High shot Fed209A primer (gave me sticky bolt) next 3 tight ones with Win209's
utf-8BYmFybmVzIHdpbiAxMTAgbGFzdC5qcGc.jpg

All shots at 50yds today (fighting a flock of carpenter bee's) and this gun really likes Win209 primers. Breech area was very clean with the Lehigh Gen II plug. After the 2nd group the stock felt a little loose. I gave it a gentle 6" buttstock drop on to the concrete which I believe set it in place and let me tighten it a little more. Next trip its going 100yds, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Omega it looks like you have a keeper in your hands and those groups are amazing, especially the SST's 200 with the blue harvester sabots. I have shot some of those and they are extremely accurate with the blue sabots. Can't wait to see the 100 yrds. results.

It turned out great and it looks like we both got good shooters. My Elite really likes the 200gr SST, Win209 and 110gr of BH209 also. I got good results with both Barnes 40s also.

I put a big variable on my Original just for kicks too. Don't need a spotting scope. :p

ALRIGHT!!!!

My silver Warne bases arrived today!!!!! So tonite i get the fun task of switching over 3 of my Durasites. :( I liked the Durasigts but they limit ring availabiity and the Warnes will accept way more rings.

BTW if you are ever looking for Knight bases...they are the same as Rem 541 bases.

Todays 100yd shooting. I quicky found out that the gun prefers 100gr BH209 instead of 110gr.

4 high shots 110gr BH209 Barnes 195gr MZ, Harvester sabot, Win209
Low 3 big crisp holes PR Bullets 250gr QT Polymer Tip, MMP sabot.
3.jpg

Backed it down to 100gr BH209. Top group Barnes MZ's, Bottom SST's. I seemed to pull one out of each group. :shock:
4.jpg

Here is a few better pictures of the stock.
1.jpg

untitled.jpg

2.jpg

Great shooting...
Welcome to the Elite 45 club!!!
Do yourself a favor and try 777 ffg.
Just for giggles. Yes, they like BH however, nothing shoot better in mine, both 50 and 45 than Triple seven.

Omega45

I would say that gun is shooting fine for you and it looks good also - you have it made in the shade....

45 are just plain fun to shoot...

Have you tried 120 gr of BH 209 yet? Mine shoots the 195 gr Barnes, 200 gr SST, 200 gr Lehigh DOA, and 200 gr XTP all less the 1 1/4" at 100 yards for a 3 shot group. Most are well under an inch.

110gr did not shoot as tight as I wanted it to so I backed it down to 100 instead of going up. I will give 120gr a whirl and see how it does next trip.

That matte finish is really nice. The more i look at it the more im tempted to "black out" one of my stainless guns.

I would not "Black Out" any of my current stainless barrels. I would "Black Out" my Origional DISC SS barrel.............if I still had it. :shock:

This Duracoat is great, no finger marks from holding the barrel while loading. He did an excellent job IMO. :lol:

That camo, whatever it is looks a lot like natural gear camo. great lookin and shootin rifle you have there!

I presume you fellas with this rifle purchased a breech plug and chingadero from Lehigh. Would one or more of you please inform me what the diameter of the chamber on the end of the plug is.

My plug recently purchased from Knight has a chamber of 0.5" diameter, which is larger than the barrel. To me it seems there might be some confusion in the burning powder because of this; perhaps not. Just trying to figure out why my disc elite, so far at least, isn't so very accurate.

The Leighs do have roughly a .500 "powder pocket". Im not toally sure if its good or bad in a 45cal but mine seems more consistent with it than with a FPJ plug. I wanted to try one with a pocket just large enough for the liner but by then he got busy.

Back