.44 Rem Mag Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Doubletap Ammo 44 mag with 240 grain Speer JSP bullet load mentioned above. At 25 yards, it went through two 1 gallon jugs of water, two 2.5 gallon jugs widthwise, and was found on the offside of a third 2.5 gallon jug (widthwise). It expanded to 0.50” and weighed 172 grains. This measurement was taken excluding the torn piece of the mangled jacket.

MTF…

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just some additional pics for reference, scale, and comparison…same order as listed in posts. I shot the Buffalo Bore 445 SuperMag with the 240 grain XTP bullets, but there wasn’t much to take pictures of. The bullet disintegrated after passing through one 1 gallon jug, and blowing up (but not penetrating) a 2.5 gallon jug set up lengthwise. I understand the impact velocity was far beyond the rating of the bullet…I just thought I’d shoot it anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I killed a couple deer with the 240 gr XTP out of my S&W 29 and a couple with the 300 gr XTP out of my muzzleloader. I would recommend either. I haven't shot anything lighter so I can't comment on that.
I would add that I've never killed any gallon jugs with them but the 240 and 300 gr XTPs are devastating on deer.

I would like to be shooting deer with them, but the season doesn’t come back in until November, so the antlerless jugs o’ water will have to suffice until then! This will be the first year to use the 44 for deer.

Strongly recommend spending the ammo and trigger time for good zero and getting your drop right for 50-150 yards in 10 yard increments. For up to 100 yards Id look at 60, 70 and 80 yard zeros (or just 75)

Group size or excessive drop will give you your distance limit

Back