.44 magnum For Elk Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hunting in Alaska a couple years ago, and a local indigenous man said most of his tribe hunted caribou with .22's, and I have no reason to doubt him. They've taken about 100% more caribou than I have. I still prefer to use my 7mm WSM.
Yes, the use 22's and put multiple shoots in the lung area.

The .44 mag can absolutely kill an elk, but so can a .22LR. I've killed a lot of deer with the .357, .41 and .44 mag but an elk is tougher and larger than any deer. The heavy load mentioned is probably sufficient in the RH .44 mag but IMHO is still so marginal it almost becomes a stunt.
I call BS on the last 5 words.
A man that has put in the time to work up an accurate load with the right bullet in his RH 44mag. He has put in the range time, shooting, tweaking the load and gun. He gets that larger, tougher elk inside "his" range. That ain't no stunt.

I call BS on the last 5 words.
A man that has put in the time to work up an accurate load with the right bullet in his RH 44mag. He has put in the range time, shooting, tweaking the load and gun. He gets that larger, tougher elk inside "his" range. That ain't no stunt.
I find the 44 carbine as a very useful rifle for the distances here in Florida and Alabama.

Back