.44 magnum For Elk Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those questions that can cause arguments. There is no simple answer but the general consensus will either be no or only at close range. That said elk have been taken with the 44 mag. from a handgun. If one looks at the ballistics the 44mag.in a handgun has less energy than a 30-30 rifle. The "Standard" recommendation for elk is 1500 ft. pounds of bullet energy at the point of penetration. The 44 mag. doesn't have that at the muzzle*. However,
there are many elk that have been killed with a lot less energy. Shot placement and bullet construction matter.
* see "Cartridges of the World" by Barnes.

I have killed many deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag ,Would be pushing it for a Elk size animal .Think if I had to use a handgun I wouls leave my 44 mag at home and use my 460 S&W Mag way more punch.

Why use a pistol, when you could use a more accurate rifle? I don't get that. Use a .30-.06, .35 Remington, or even a good muzzle loader.

Why not? I hunt exclusively with Handguns and Traditional Longbows that I build. That is my choice. A .44 Mag, like the one I hunt with, 8" barrel, 2x scope and a 300 grain jacketed soft point or wide flat nose cast will take out any elk walking with a double lung/heart shot. When I pistol hunt, I use the same tactics, as I would a Longbow. Get in Longbow Close, pick my shot and be ready for follow up if needed. As stated before, shot placement is the key. My thinking is when in doubt, back out, work for a better shot. I have taken several elk with it in the 400 to 500 lb range and it worked great. I have killed 400lb hogs, that I believe are harder to take down that elk with the same pistol. All close range.
On the rifles being more accurate---- maybe. Most hand gunners I know, practice a lot with their choice of pistol and would put most of them against a rifle shooter. My Ruger Blackhawk Hunter at 50 yards will print 3 shot groups from a seated position off of a Bog Pod in 1" groups. Some of the 44 Mag pistols like the Freedom Arms will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds.
Sure, a .454 or .460, which I have in a 15", Custom Encore barrel shooting 200 grain Barnes XPB bullets is rolling along at 2400 fps and has 2100 fp of energy, as fast as a 30-30 might be a better round but I use it for deer and pigs where I might be shooting 100 yds.
In my experience hunting with handguns for the last 35 years, most handgun hunters shoot a lot of rounds and know their limitations. A lot of rifle shooters I know, get their rifles out a week or so before season, go shoot 3 or 4 rounds at a milk jug or paper plate and if they hit it, they put the rifle up and go hunt.
I'm not knocking rifles or rifle hunters. I hunted with rifles for many years. I still have one custom .280 that I had a friend build in the late 70's that I feel confident in firing one round through a cold bore any time I take it out of the safe and it will print exactly where I want at 100, 200 and beyond. I keep it because it was built for me and there are several places I hunt that don't allow handguns on Federal draw hunts and that's okay. I put in for them and get one about every 10 or so years.
I know, I've gone on too long on my Handgun hunting rant but myself and many others are passionate about our handguns and shooting them.
The statement made earlier in the post just hit a nerve this morning. Sorry about the long post.
Mike

Why use a pistol, when you could use a more accurate rifle? I don't get that. Use a .30-.06, .35 Remington, or even a good muzzle loader.

Why not? I hunt exclusively with Handguns and Traditional Longbows that I build. That is my choice. A .44 Mag, like the one I hunt with, 8" barrel, 2x scope and a 300 grain jacketed soft point or wide flat nose cast will take out any elk walking with a double lung/heart shot. When I pistol hunt, I use the same tactics, as I would a Longbow. Get in Longbow Close, pick my shot and be ready for follow up if needed. As stated before, shot placement is the key. My thinking is when in doubt, back out, work for a better shot. I have taken several elk with it in the 400 to 500 lb range and it worked great. I have killed 400lb hogs, that I believe are harder to take down that elk with the same pistol. All close range.
On the rifles being more accurate---- maybe. Most hand gunners I know, practice a lot with their choice of pistol and would put most of them against a rifle shooter. My Ruger Blackhawk Hunter at 50 yards will print 3 shot groups from a seated position off of a Bog Pod in 1" groups. Some of the 44 Mag pistols like the Freedom Arms will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds.
Sure, a .454 or .460, which I have in a 15", Custom Encore barrel shooting 200 grain Barnes XPB bullets is rolling along at 2400 fps and has 2100 fp of energy, as fast as a 30-30 might be a better round but I use it for deer and pigs where I might be shooting 100 yds.
In my experience hunting with handguns for the last 35 years, most handgun hunters shoot a lot of rounds and know their limitations. A lot of rifle shooters I know, get their rifles out a week or so before season, go shoot 3 or 4 rounds at a milk jug or paper plate and if they hit it, they put the rifle up and go hunt.
I'm not knocking rifles or rifle hunters. I hunted with rifles for many years. I still have one custom .280 that I had a friend build in the late 70's that I feel confident in firing one round through a cold bore any time I take it out of the safe and it will print exactly where I want at 100, 200 and beyond. I keep it because it was built for me and there are several places I hunt that don't allow handguns on Federal draw hunts and that's okay. I put in for them and get one about every 10 or so years.
I know, I've gone on too long on my Handgun hunting rant but myself and many others are passionate about our handguns and shooting them.
The statement made earlier in the post just hit a nerve this morning. Sorry about the long post.
Mike
I have nothing against your handgun hunting, I just don't get it. I do sometimes carry a sidearm while hunting,or fishing in remote areas and bear country, but personally would rather rely and trust a long gun. Enjoy your hunting, regardless, and stay safe.

Phil the answer to the - Why? - is easy. Its the challenge. If getting meat is the issue sure a rifle would be my first choice. But if its having the challenge and the experience of getting up close and personal is the goal than why not a revolver or bow or muzzleloader to take an elk. Heck if killing was the issue I'd take the muzzy or the bow over the handgun. But in the right hands and with the right cartridge/bullet and staying within your limitations there is nothing wrong with a pistol for elk. I personally would have no problem using a 44 mag on elk using a 300 gr SP as long as I could get a shot within 50 yards. Further if I practiced more.

I have a Thompson Contender 14 inch barrrel (ported) in 44 Mag. I hope to kill a cow elk using a Hornady 240 grain XTP and H110 powder. Hornaday has a load for this gun @ 1800 fps out the snoot.
I have killed many elk with both rifle and bow. I am setting up a challenge for my self to stalk within pistol range. I will hunt Eastern WY. Plenty of OTC tags. Generous season

Mike
Yep: Hunting ethics are the key: Practice until you know your limits, know the limits of your weapon, and then NEVER take shots that: 1) Are outside the limits of your shooting ability UNDER HUNTING CONDITIONS; 2) Are at an animal which is not in a position which guarantees that your bullet or arrow will reach and destroy vital organs, the destruction of which will ensure a quick kill; or 3) Are under conditions which make recovery unlikely, even with a quick kill.

I have no problems with ANY choice of weapon, if the hunter does these three things.

I played with a Super Blackhawk for quite a while and was able to get some very impressive ballistics with an LBT 320 gr WLFN and H110. Accuracy was fine. I never hunted with it and lost interest in it after a couple years.

I think that it will work just fine on elk if you can place your shot and use a heavy bullet.

The .44 mag can absolutely kill an elk, but so can a .22LR. I've killed a lot of deer with the .357, .41 and .44 mag but an elk is tougher and larger than any deer. The heavy load mentioned is probably sufficient in the RH .44 mag but IMHO is still so marginal it almost becomes a stunt.

I was hunting in Alaska a couple years ago, and a local indigenous man said most of his tribe hunted caribou with .22's, and I have no reason to doubt him. They've taken about 100% more caribou than I have. I still prefer to use my 7mm WSM.

I was hunting in Alaska a couple years ago, and a local indigenous man said most of his tribe hunted caribou with .22's, and I have no reason to doubt him. They've taken about 100% more caribou than I have. I still prefer to use my 7mm WSM.
Pretty common subsistence practice up there to run them down in deep snow on a snow machine or motor up along side them while they’re swimming! A .22 works well in those situations. Caribou are lightly built and not tough to kill. Nothing like a big bull elk.

Mike
I agree.

This is one of those questions that can cause arguments. There is no simple answer but the general consensus will either be no or only at close range. That said elk have been taken with the 44 mag. from a handgun. If one looks at the ballistics the 44mag.in a handgun has less energy than a 30-30 rifle. The "Standard" recommendation for elk is 1500 ft. pounds of bullet energy at the point of penetration. The 44 mag. doesn't have that at the muzzle*. However,
there are many elk that have been killed with a lot less energy. Shot placement and bullet construction matter.
* see "Cartridges of the World" by Barnes.
A 44 carbine is great again distance is a factor.

Back