400 yard elk muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speak of the devil…Luke, can you give us more info on the XLD bullets? Like the min expansion velocity?
I haven't done gel testing, but based on in field results from customers, it still disrupts at 1400FPS. Maybe lower. It's definitely more on the explosive side. Would prefer a little more controlled expansion, but always taking expansion over penciling. And I've found that bonded bullets like fury aren't as consistent gun to gun. Don't get me wrong, fury is a great bullet, but I've had some guns that I've built that didn't love them. I Haven't had a gun I've built that wouldn't shoot the XLD/NSR. If I go to the range and don't get groups with NSR, I know something is wrong (bad scope, loose screw, etc).

Closer is always better, but sometimes in the mountains, long is the only option. Hard to appreciate if you're from the midwest or east coast, but a totally different ballgame in the mountains.
Well, not the only option. And yea I’m a westerner born and bred most of my life in and on the flank of the White River Nat’l Forest. We have opportunities for long shots here but most elk hunters manage to get closer.

Back