40/50 sabots arived..suggestions needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
This is my first time using the MMP 40/50 sabot. Ive used 3 different 40/45 sabots with success with bullets from 180-200gr and some with the PR QT 250gr sabots. The 250 QTs did stabilize with 100gr charges but i didnt have enough to work up the perfect combo with only 12.

I currently have 180-200gr 40cal plated bullets in HP and RNFP. Anyone tried anything lighter with reasonable accuracy? I prefer plated data because this is about fun shooting and less hunting oriented.

Cast or plated 40 data/opinions would be a big plus. Jacketed light weight data would be interesting too since i can sub the plated for similar weights. About 165gr is about as light as i THINK is going to work but.....

I also have some 10mm/40cal Redline 220gr hardcast (roughly 20+BH) arriving this week. If these work im buying a similar mold and modify it to remove the lube grooves. Probably a lighter RNFP mold with the grooves removed should be close and cast them a bit softer. (15-18BH) I wont be casting them. My friend Duke runs a LLC and sells cast bulk and Minnies.

In the future i will be working with him on some pointed 45cal conicals in the 250-300gr class for my 45. He loves to tinker too and pricing is VERY fair. Much cheaper than PRs conicals but with a similar profile.

Im really hoping these 220gr 40s will work good in the 1-24 twist as a flatter shooting but lower recoil option. The Ovation kicks a bit hard but i normally use 300gr plus projectiles and 110gr+ charges.

Its my only gun i like to shoot really heavy charges and it does it well and IMO safely.

I wont know for sure until i can see how well the bullet fits the length of the sabot and if they stabilize in my 1-24, 1-28 twist 50s and my 1-28 twist 45cal. 500 bullets are on the way. I expect the 1-24 to do a bit better than the 1-28.

I also have 100 MMP 50cal mag sub bases to attempt some heavy loads in the Ovation. I have a good selection of fiber and dry felt wads if needed too. The main ones i have are .132" and designed to protect the base of shotshell cups.

Hopefully i can get some Crushribs to include in the testing also. IMO the 40/45 CrushRibs are a bit better for cast. I asked my LGS to get some in stock. The Harvester sabots are also appear to be a bit longer than the MMPs.

Lets here some opinions and ideas please. If they work i plan on adding some to the classifieds.

Thanks and have a good one.

Back