250 Gr Bonded Shockwave....Impact Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry1

Reaction score
I finally got out to the range to do some testing on the new Bonded Shockwave bullets. Since their cousins, the regular Shockwave and Hornady SST have shot so well I have really been anxious to do this, albeit late. Although the bonded ones are not so new by now they really haven?t been field-tested that much.

If you remember NYBob, a member of this forum did testing of bullet impacts a year or two ago. I wanted to follow his same type of procedure so at least a general performance comparison could be made between the bonded ones and the regular ones tested in Bob?s report, along with his other bullets.

I saved up newspapers and accumulated quite a pile?. Probably three times what I needed for this. I soaked the papers in water then folded and packed them in a tall plastic kitchen-type trashcan of rectangular shape. From the previous report I knew that I probably needed a stack around 20 inches high. (yes I used the trashcan from my kitchen!) I did the soaking and packing from home and had two containers of wet paper media. I didn?t anticipate that each would be as heavy as they were but somehow I got them loaded up and to the range.

Rifles and loads used??250gr Bonded Shockwave with supplied sabot?

Savage ML II 42 Grs Vihtavuori N110
Mv approx 2320 fps Impact velocity @ 35 yds approx 2180 fps

Knight Disc Elite 100 grs volume loose Triple Se7en ffg
Mv approx 1886 fps Impact velocity @ 35 yds approx 1757 fps

Impact results:
The smokeless load penetrated about 16 inches. The impact channel started small and opened up to a large 3+ inch cavity about half way in with the bullet stopping in a perfect mushroom. The retained wt was 195.6 Gr or 78.2%.

The Triple Se7en load penetrated about 13.5 inches with the impact channel opening up again to around 3 inches half way in and another perfect mushroomed bullet. The large cavity was not as long as the faster load but was very impressive regardless. This one had a retained wt of 224.6 Gr or 89.8%.

The obvious intent of this new bullet, at least in the advertising, was to develop a stronger one and I?m thinking that was accomplished. It stayed together and it?s retained wt was higher. Bob?s original report showed the 250 SST/Shockwave having good penetration but it did come apart. Anyway what strikes me here is that both bullets mushroomed well and stayed together in spite of the over 400 fps difference in impact velocities.

IMG_0377_1_.jpg

IMG_0378_1_.jpg

IMG_0388_1_.jpg

IMG_0390_1_.jpg

IMG_0432_1_.jpg

The bullet on the left is the Triple Se7en load.

Great report! I really enjoyed it. I REALLY have to try that some day!

GREAT report Harry! That IS some pretty impressive performance for the new 250gr Bonded Shockwave!

ANOTHER way of looking at the data is that is the Bonded Shockwave performance from zero to about 145 yds when started out at about 2320fps....or typical performance when using 42gr N-110 out of a 10ML-II.

Really enjoyed your report Harry, thanks.

I am curious how the older or non-bonded shockwave would compare with the same test. I guess it's time to start saving newspaper. :D

Viking421a.....At the top of product reviews are sticky articles and NYBOB as two...they start with retired, wet newsprint, etc. In his tests you can see the older non bonded shock wave or SST results.

Underclocked and Txhunter58....."Now that's people friendly".....This is a Modern Muzzleloader's example of "Southern Hospitality" :lol: :lol:

OK, so I posted after reading UC's and didn't read any further till afterwards :oops:... still funny though :D

Great report Harry.. That sure is a great way to test different bullets.

Would the bonded be a better choice for black bear as compared to the "regular" shockwave 250's?
Im sighted in right now with the yellow tipped regulars.....And dont have time to check the sight in with the bonded prior to next weeks bear hunt...But still interested to know if I would have been better with the bonded! Hopefully my yellow tipped 250g shockwaves will do a number on a black bear!! I have some really dandys hitting my bait! :D

I would certainly use the bonded Shockwave provided they shoot good in your rifle.

Well granted the bonded is a better choice maybe for black bear.....But any reason the "regular" shockwave wouldnt do the job???????

Double lung a black bear with just about anything and he will die quick. I have killed them with 85 grain 6mm bullets, 38 special wadcutters, 140 grain 7mm bullets and with a bow. None have traveled as much s 100 yards after shot.

I am not recommending varmint bullets like 85 grain 6mm's or 38 special wadcutters but black bears are not hard to kill.

If I am not mistaken Teddy Roosevelt killed a wad of black bears with the old 38:56 and 40:65 Winchesters.

I shoot 200gr. SW using 90gr. of ffg 777 . Ishoot a pro hunter . do the test would like to see what they do . :) :)

test

That looks like fun, I'm gonna save paper and try my own testing w/ the Encore. Thanks fr you effort

Here is a 250 grain Shockwave bonded bullet I recovered from my cow elk. It was shot at 52 yards and this is what it looked like after entering thru a rib and was found on the off side between the ribs and shoulder blade.

DSCF0019.jpg

Latest posts

Back