200 grain Shockwave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkworm

Reaction score
Well folks, I made a negative post the other day on the 200gr. shockwave. I stated it did not leave any blood trail on a doe I harvested. How much can someone really learn from one shot? Not enough to bad mouth a product on the net I'm sure. When shooting an animal there are alot of varibles that come into play. So when I returned home from hunting Thursday evening, I removed the breech plug and unloaded the charge of BH and Barnes bullet. I reloaded the Pro hunter with that darn 200gr. shockwave pushed by 100grs of BH. Friday morning in the sleet/snow I had a 140 class 8 pointer walk within 25 yds. of my stand. At the shot the buck hit the ground like he had been struck by a bolt of lightning, jump to his feet and traveled a total of 20 yds. and gave up the ghost. Although there was no blood trail needed there was plenty. Had a complete pass through and the exit wound was the size of a half dollar. I am now tagged out in Virginia and Kentucky so I'll have to wait until next year for further testing the "on game" performance of that darn little 200 grainer.

Sounds like you had a really nice season. Im hoping to take one during our muzzleloaders season with a 300 XTP. I have heard so many negativs with the shockwaves yet so many promising reports too. I really think it comes down to shot placement. Im hoping to go for an anchor shot in the shoulder and im just afraid the SW will blowup on a close shot.

Where did you hit the buck?

Is it because the bullet is being pushed by too much powder? Probably because the animal was pretty close at the time of the shot? I've heard of the smaller bullets actually start tumbling because they are pushed by too much powder, thereby fragmenting upon impact.

hiney said:
Is it because the bullet is being pushed by too much powder? Probably because the animal was pretty close at the time of the shot? I've heard of the smaller bullets actually start tumbling because they are pushed by too much powder, thereby fragmenting upon impact.

I have shot the .40 caliber 200 grain Shock Wave and 195 grain Barnes and 200 grain XTP out of my Omega with up to 120 grains of BH209 and 150 grains of 777 and have never had them tumble or keyhole. All were pretty accurate and the Shock Waves were very accurate--3 shots consistently under 3" at 200 yds.

I never have killed any deer with any of the 200 grain bullets.

Nice post stinkworm, good to see some objectivity.

I shoot a small 8 point at a lazered 202 yards and the exit hole was 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The Buck went 30 y/40 yards and down. The 200 gr shockwave lost as great deal of velocity and still performed.

Nothing wrong with the 200 gr shockwave.

Chocdog

I've shot a few deer with the 200 grain Shockwave, none went over 60 yards. I even recovered 1 bullet after going through both shoulders at 115 yards and resting just under the hide on the far side. That one didn't leave much of a blood trail, but it wasn't needed as I watched him go down within a couple seconds. If you put it just behind the shoulders, it will leave a substantial exit hole and a blood trail a blind man could follow.

Here is a couple pics of that recovered bullet. IIRC it weighed 130 grains, retaining 65% of its original weight after going through some serious bone.

045.jpg

046.jpg

shooter44n45 said:
Sounds like you had a really nice season. Im hoping to take one during our muzzleloaders season with a 300 XTP. I have heard so many negativs with the shockwaves yet so many promising reports too. I really think it comes down to shot placement. Im hoping to go for an anchor shot in the shoulder and im just afraid the SW will blowup on a close shot.

Where did you hit the buck?

The deer was hit behind the shoulders, lungs were turned into jello.

Busta,

That is the first 200 gr. shock-wave I have ever seen recovered. thanks.

Chocdog

TJJ said:
Nice post stinkworm, good to see some objectivity.

Have to agree with TJJ on that one. A lot of times our perceptions are based on limited data. I'm just happy you recovered both deer, and thanks for reporting both results.

Back