1st Deer with a Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd1700

Reaction score
Well I finally bloodied the T/C Omega. Took a buck that only had one horn as a cull deer. Shot distance was about 70 yards. I was using 120 grains of loose pyrodex, a CCI primer and a 240 grain Hornady XTP mag sabot. He ran about 40 yards in a semi circle after the shot and fell in sight. There was no need for tracking but man what a blood trail. I hit him tight behind the left shoulder and the 240 gr XTP mag blew through easily and exited just slightly further back on the right side leaving an exit hole about the size of a nickel. I am well pleased with the performance and I cannot believe how accurate this load and sabot combo is out of such a moderately priced muzzleloader. I literally hit the tuft of hair that I was aiming at on this deers shoulder. Below is a photo of the exit hole. And below that photo is a photo of the test shot I took from 100 yards just to recheck that my scope was still 1 1/2 inches high at that distance. Repeatable accuracy like that at the range has made me feel as comfortable carrying this muzzleloader into the woods as I do with any other centerfire rifle I own. In fact I'm enjoying this thing so much I can't see the centerfires making it into my truck for a while unless I'm hunting an area where the opportunity for a really long shot is possible. Why didn't you guys warn me that muzzleloading was this addictive? LOL!

eb29f521.jpg

eb29dee0.jpg

Way to go Todd!

You better believe...muzzleloading IS addictive! 8)

Latest posts

Back