11/16 Opening Day Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday was the regualr season opener for us here in NY, this year is the first one that we can use rifle in Ontario County. I went a field with my Savage 110 in 243 Winchester using the Winchester 100 gr. Power Points, at around 8:15 I scored on a nice 8pt. from a ladder stand. It was only about a 30 yd. shot however still exciting since he came to my grunt calls. I really do not know how to use my call but was fooling around with it, after my second round of grunts I heard a noise that I have never heard before in the woods. It kind of sounded like my call but with more of a duck sound to it, I waited a few minutes and grunted again with no response. Soon I heard what sounded like squirrel at first but it was too rythmic and when I looked to my left there he was walking. He walked up to the edge where it is real thick and was looking into the field. After about ten minutes he turned around and started back, I picked a shot lane and when he entered it I let one go he took off like a rocket crashing through the woods but it was not long and it was silent. I tracked him no more than 30 yds, perfect shot right behind the front leg no exit though that I could find. When I dressed him out the entrance through the rib cage was huge I could fit four fingers in it and the bullet took out the top of the heart and one lung. He was dead before he knew it. First deer with a rifle is it common with a 243 to not have an exit on a close shot? I think the bullet vaporized on impact with the ribs and most likely the fragrements I miss when cleaning. I was very happy with the results though.

Congrads on the buck! A lot of .243 bullets are made for varmints. I think most of the 100gn and up are more for larger game, but some are just more fragile than others. I have used the Sierra Gameking 100gn Flat based Spitzer with good results. Most of those exited leaving a pretty good exit hole. the Nosler Partition or Accubond would be another good choice. In factory loads have you tried the Remington Corelokt line, they hold up well. Used those in a .270 for several years?

I prefer the Barnes TSX bullet & that eliminates the fragmentation issues. Federal also has a "Deer Thugs" bonded 100 grain that should hold up as well.

Latest posts

Back