12 CAUTIONS & COMMANDMENTS - MUZZLELOADING

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
It dosen't hurt to publish these rules as a reminder of safety issues that need to be followed.

12 CAUTIONS & COMMANDMENTS

MUZZLELOADING -
CAUTIONS & COMMANDMENTS

Courtesy of Dixie Gun Works, Inc. Union City TN

1. USE ONLY BLACK POWDER OR REPLICA POWDER IN MUZZLELOADERS. Pyrodex is the brand name of the most commonly known replica black powder.

2. TREAT EVERY GUN AS LOADED. Never point at anything you don’t intend to shoot. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times, including while loading. Never lean over the muzzle. Make priming the pan or capping the nipple the last step of loading.

3. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE FIRING. Be aware of the location of other people around you. Know what is behind your target. Never fire into water or at flat, hard surfaces. Round balls are prone to glance or ricochet.

4. BE SURE YOUR GUN IS IN FIRING CONDITION BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER. Make sure the ball is firmly seated, the gun is not overcharged, there is no obstruction in the barrel, etc.

5. TREAT A MISFIRE OR FAILURE TO FIRE WITH EXTREME CARE. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction down range, and wait at least one full minute before repriming.

6. MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS UNLOADED BEFORE YOU STORE IT AND STORE THE GUN, POWDER, AND CAPS SEPARATELY.

7. PROTECT YOUR EYES AND EARS WHILE SHOOTING. Always wear shooting glasses and ear plugs to prevent possible damage.

8. NEVER SMOKE WHILE LOADING, SHOOTING, OR HANDLING BLACKPOWDER PROPELLANTS.

9. NEVER DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BEFORE OR WHILE SHOOTING.

10. USE COMMON SENSE AT ALL TIMES.

11. I WILL NEVER SHOOT A BLACK POWDER I DID NOT LOAD.

12. NEVER ALLOW DISTRACTIONS WHILE LOADING.

1607134148288.png

Last edited:
I can second this. Great Information and guidelines, I do the 12 commandments 11) I will never shoot a Black Powder I DID NOT LOAD 12) NEVER ALLOW DISTRACTIONS WHILE LOADING. however these posted are the best 10 I have seen

Latest posts

Back