Finally shot the Knight Disc Elite .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about coning the muzzle? I see on a couple traditional forums theres a good # of guys there that have been coning their muzzles and putting up some excellent grounds.

Busta

Any pointers on your method? I have read that the method SwampFox posted above works well. A lathe would make quick work of it, the bore looks to be perfectly centered although I haven't measured it.

Well the way I did mine certainly is not scientfic or the way that a Gun Smith would do it, actually underclocked came up with the original idea and then I made a couple of improvements - anyway I think improvements. Also the thought that SwampFox passed will work also.

Here were my tools + a drill screw driver one that has two speeds - you do not want the high speed but the low speed with good torgue.

DSCN0859.jpg

The best brass tool (ball) that I could find availble locally was the brass ball on the end a replacement valve for a Delta Water Faucet - think mine was for a bathroom faucet as the kitchen faucet has a larger ball. Then to NAPA to pick up some 'fine' valve grinding compound - I went for the water based stuff to make sure I could wash it out easily.

Insert the faucet ball stem in a drill drill apply grinding compound to the end of the ball and spin it with the drill. Keep adding compund as necessary. You really do not hae to worry about keeping the ball straight on the muzzle as it is very close to being perfectly round.

DSCN0860.jpg

Work a little bit at a time clean the muzzle and look at your crown forming. You do not need a lot just and even crown. While turning the ball on the muzzle do not spin the ball in the same place all the time or it will wera a groove in the ball. work it like a pendulum(sp) Does that make sense.

Remember baby steps - examine - baby step till you have an even crown.

Questions? ask them and I will try to help more...

Sabotloader,
I have been looking closely at the crown of my MHC barrel. I have always known that there is not much of a crown there, It is not really that uneven, that I can tell with my eyes anyway, but it is very shallow, to the point that I know I have damaged sabots when loading them. Is that how yours was or was yours also not concentric with the barrel?
I looked at it side by side with my wolverine and my elite. The wolverine was made back in 94 or 95 and it by far has the nicest looking crown. The .50 disc elite's crown is a little deeper than the MHC but it seems concentric.
Would it be possible to post a picture of what that crown looks like after you got done?
Thanks, Art

Thanks sabotloader. That is very useful information.

I did this Encore barrel with a grinding cone, then a grinding ball, JB Bore Paste, and patches.

Crown.jpg

Rifle shot great and was much easier to load afterward. Cost was about $3 but I still have the grinders. :)

Busta, yours appears to be so far off center that using the ball method probably won't get you where you need to go. The ball is going to center on the existing edges and may just continue to take that path. I would want to at least get those edges centered with the bore before proceeding - and that may take some doing.

ps: those Powerstars will shoot great out of a 1:28 barrel. Going to 1:30 shouldn't make THAT much difference.

sabotloader said:
UC & Busta

yours appears to be so far off center that using the ball method probably won't get you where you need to go

UC makes a good point... here

That is what I have been thinking too, I would have to get the chamfer more even before trying that. I think I may talk to a smith, or at least someone with a lathe. Maybe I should just ask Knight if they would fix it. I doubt if they have them in stock any longer for a swap? I guess I better call, or e-mail the pics.

UC,

Who is the best guy to e-mail at Knight? I think I could have done a better job with a rat-tail file, blindfolded, with one arm tied behind my back. :lol: Seriously, someone was sleeping when they crowned that rifle. WHUT are they using? Looks like it was a grinder ball with a big groove wore in it, musta been past it's life expectancy.

When I got my TK2000, the screw-on jug choke must have had the same knucklehead chamfer the end of the tube. That thing was so OFF center, it actually threw the pattern so far to one side that I had to move the rear sight ALL the way ot the edge just to hit the target. Not only that the pattern was horrable. IIRC it was over a foot and a half to the left at 20 yards, and I had the sight all the way to the right. I called Knight at that time (2000) and they couldnt believe it. I sent it back in and told them to shoot it, they promptly sent a new choke back that had the chamfer centered. The sight is now dead center where it should be. So I know when that wad or sabot leaves the barrel, it does make a difference if the pressure is equal all the way around or not.

Busta said:
...............................This was a new NFPJ conversion I bought just for this rifle, ignition was perfect, but it does allow a lot more soot/blowback into the bolt area. The one I have for my Disc Extreme lets very little pass by the primers. I think a little mod is in order for one of these plugs. ;)

Did you modify the plug that allowed the blow by? What was done?

Back