Wrapping Breech Plug for Seal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this makes sense.

Depending on where I hunt, I often have to remove the BP and push an unused load out. Every time I have to do that, instead of shooting it out, I wind up with a ton of powder stuck in the threads of the barrel. It's a greasy mess. Takes forever to get the powder out of there. I hunt with Knight MK-85's and LK-93's. Will tape be an easier clean up?

Just totally my opinion - but for me it is way easier and this blue tape seems to be so much better than the white I have been using.

I've tried tape and it cause my breach plugs on all four of my MZ's to leak. I've found breach plugs grease works the best.

I picked up some of the blue tape yesterday, can't wait to give it a try. Just needs to stop snowing.

I picked up some of the blue tape yesterday, can't wait to give it a try. Just needs to stop snowing.

Snowing! it's spring - I am going to try to get to the farm today to do a little recreational shooting by my self since I can't do much of anything else.

I really hope it works as well for you as it has for me. It will possibly take a couple of tries to get it where it really works for you.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my new Knight rifle comes with a copper crush washer that installs between the mating faces of the breech plug and barrel. My old Knight of course did not have this. Do you think it is still necessary to wrap over the front face of the breech plug to create a seal? If so, would you wrap over the face of just the breech plug, or would you wrap them together with Teflon tape. It seems like unless you wrapped over the breech plug face, and then add the washer and wrap over it as well, then there could still be potential for leakage.

I guess what I'm asking is, would you trust the crush washer to do its job, or would you still tape over the faces?

Thoughts?

Actually, I think I answered my own question. I ended up wrapping a couple of layers around the breech plug alone, then folded it over the front of the plug, then I added the washer and did a couple more wraps and folded that over the washer before wrapping the rest of the breech plug. It seems like it will work well, and it helped to keep the washer centered over the breech plug while installing.

Which model new knight comes with the crush washer?

Latest posts

Back