Worth the elbow grease?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
So I picked up a couple muzzleloaders I intended to be just wall hangars. Now I'm wondering about cleaning them up and seeing if they are worth the time to go through and see if they are functional. Problem is I know very lil about them to the point I've never shot anything like this let alone taken one apart. Anyhelp or places to start. What to look for would be great. And I do not have a bore scope fyi. 20230910_125334.jpg
20230910_125338.jpg
20230910_125349.jpg
20230910_125424.jpg

My vote is yes, absolutely.

First check to see if they will snap a cap. They are clean and Im thinking no problem.

second, run some patches down the barrel and drop a lit arrow knock down there to see what the bores look like. Look up a Leel Shaver barrel cleaning ansd maybe do that. Then drop the arrow knock. Judging by the outside of the guns I think they will be fine.

Well here we go. 16943706145632196551930832898168.jpg16943706434078405786261690331101.jpg
So what I assume is the breech plug on this. Can I remove that? Measurements or anything I need to put it back together properly? Figured it would be easier to inspect the barrel this way. And the nipple is loose on the barrel. Figure it just needs to be tightened but haven't made it that far. Yes both of the cock and dry fire.

Those breechplugs on the CVA and Traditions are not removable by the consumer. I broke one back in.the 80's trying to remove it. CVA fixed it and told me they were not made to be removable by the user. My friend had a Thompson and his was removable with a special tool so I thought they all were. Nope.

Well here we go. View attachment 37421View attachment 37422
So what I assume is the breech plug on this. Can I remove that? Measurements or anything I need to put it back together properly? Figured it would be easier to inspect the barrel this way. And the nipple is loose on the barrel. Figure it just needs to be tightened but haven't made it that far. Yes both of the cock and dry fire.
Well here we go. View attachment 37421View attachment 37422
Not unless you need another fence post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you haven't already, check to see if they're loaded or not.
Are they both 36 caliber?
The Traditions is a Frontier rifle and the CVA looks like a Hawken hunter, possibly.
What do the inside of the barrels look like? Any rust that you can see?
The outsides don't look bad at all.

Well the CVA 54 cal is cleaned up and done good enough for now. The barrel was surprisingly clean. The breach plug face and flame path was a different story. But I think she's gonna work just fine. I'll grab some primers this week and give it a go. 20230910_174812.jpg
20230910_174807.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Glad I asked about the breach plug before throwing it in the vice and grabbing the breaker bar.

Well the CVA 54 cal is cleaned up and done good enough for now. The barrel was surprisingly clean. The breach plug face and flame path was a different story. But I think she's gonna work just fine. I'll grab some primers this week and give it a go. View attachment 37437
View attachment 37438

Thanks for all the help. Glad I asked about the breach plug before throwing it in the vice and grabbing the breaker bar.
Looks nice. I've got an old CVA Missouri 54 caliber. The gun shoots best with a .530 ball, .015 cotton patch and 75 grains volume Swiss 3f

The Traditions is a Squirrel Rifle. They were sold originally with both a 36 caliber and 50 caliber barrel. I bought a used one for my son decades ago. It only had the 36 caliber barrel so I ordered the 50 caliber from Traditions. Unfortunately, that rifle is long gone.

Good Luck!

Walt

Latest posts

Back