Wisconsin DNR Spring Hearing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinelander

Reaction score
It is important that you attend your county DNR Spring Rule Hearing, held on April 13th @ 7PM. Go to the Wisconsin DNR website below to find your county hearing location. We have a couple important muzzleloader topics, which are as follows:

question 60 - Having a 10 day muzzleloader season starting on Dec 22?

question 61 - Would you support a 16 day muzzleloader season starting the Saturday before Christmas?

quseston 67 - Would you support a rule change allowing a scope power of greater than 1X during the muzzlerloader season???

These are just 3 rule change questions that Wisconsin DNR is exploring with the sportsman of Wisconsin this year. These are important annual meetings that you should attend.

Plus, try to attend the DNR Deer management unit hearings.

Hear is a web link to help give you more info on both meetings. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/ ... rmeet.html

Well stated by my neighbor 100 miles to the west.

If you don't get involved in the decision making, you need to keep your mouth shut when you don't like the rules.

Really, most folks don't understand just how much they can make a difference just by standing up and speaking out at these meetings.

The rule makers are just people too.

I went to Iowa's version of the same type of thing. I think it made some impact because a couple of the "hot topics" got pushed back another year for "more discussion." I agree, if you don't get involved, you shouldn't be able to complain about the rules.

While I go and voice my opinion at all the DNR meetings in our area, I never seem to feel they truly understand or really care about what the local population is saying. But your right, it is important to go and then make them explain some of their failed programs. And to listen to what they want to mess up in the future.

I sure would like those seasons and a larger scope,but it ain't gonna happen. Too many bow/gun hunters are afraid the Ml's are going to shoot to many deer? Snow and cold weather sure make the deer move and if you are still allowed to bait. I saw more deer in the late archery season than I did in early archery/gun/ML seasons put together.
RC

younghunter_86 said:
I went to Iowa's version of the same type of thing. I think it made some impact because a couple of the "hot topics" got pushed back another year for "more discussion." I agree, if you don't get involved, you shouldn't be able to complain about the rules.

My brother told me the other day that Iowa is raising their nonresident tag prices again. He believes it is going to be a substantial bump in price. Have you heard anything?

The WI Muzzleloader Assoc. posted a Commentary in WI Outdoor News, coming out against a longer, later season and against the use of scopes. I believe they are a traditional club, not wanting to share the woods with hunters carrying modern MLs with scopes. I wrote a rebuttal to their commentary. Should be posted in the next issue. Mark

They do allow you, the use of a high power scope on a muzzleloader during the regular gun hunting season and in any special gun hunting season such as "T zone hunt". A lot of the Wisconsin is shotgun area only during the gun hunting seasnon, which also allows the use of muzzleloaders and handgunnes. I know of a few hunters (me included) that will stand hunt with a high power scoped muzzleloader and then switch to the rifle or repeating shotgun while doing a deer drive or still hunting.

But as Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof sang it come down to TRADITION during the Wisconsin Muzzleloader hunting season.

On this topic of muzzlerloaders with a scope power over 1X during the Muzzlerloader hunting season only. I am not sure how I will vote. Both sides on this issue make valid points. With my 52 year old eyes, my TC Black Diamond shoots real good for me with peep sights only, but here in the forest of the northwoods, I do not shoot over 80 yards either. But then how well will my 72 year old eye work in the future?????

Wisconsin allows all the advantages of modern muzzlerloaders and allows the the traditional muzzlerloader use during the reqular gun hunting seasons, other then the special muzzlerlaoder season in which the only changes are that modern or traditional muzzlerloader cannot use a high power scope.

This is why I like to come to posting boards like this one and listen to others views on these type of topics. This way I can learn and expand my knowledge, so that when I attend these special DNR meetings or any meetings, I will have a better understanding of the topic and speak better on a topic, so that I can hopefully help shape the hunting future better here in Wisconsin and else where.

votes

I am not from WI. however in the Xbow debate recently in PA, the measure to adopt Xbow hunting for all during regular season was adopted by the PGC supposedly against the wishes of hunters. It is my feeling they adopted this measure to increase funds availible to them (PGC)and despite supposed hunter feelings. More and more I see that following the money trails will lead to any answer prior to the vote. Money talks!

Tradition is good and all but when it comes to harvesting animals with a muzzleloader, we should be allowed to use equipment that will afford us the means to make the most ethical shot possible. Some people can shoot pretty good with open sights but nowhere near as good as they could with a scope. To me it's the same as using buckshot. Why would you want to allow people the possibility to make a bad shot and wound an animal. And yes I know people with scopes make bad shots too. But the chances of making a good clean shot are greater with a scope.

I do not mind the no powered scope rule. But where I hunt that is not a big problem. If it were changed, would I use a powered scope... sure I would. But then I might not use them all the time. I have rifles set up for that. And it would allow me to harvest at longer distances. Maybe when hunting a field where the shots would be extreme. But in reality, I would probably be walking around with a flintlock like I usually do. But I have no objection meeting someone in the woods with an inline and even a scoped in line for that fact.

If the powered scope option is killed (as I think it will be) I do think they should have a clause where those certified by an eye doctor, that would benefit from the use of a powered scope, have that right. Then I think they should limit that scope to no more then 4x. That is more then enough for hunters and it might keep some of the inexperienced from taking extreme shots or such. We still have to worry about those that are willing to take long shots when they do not have the skills to do so.

Wisconsin is a strange state population wise. We have some areas in the southern end and east/south very populated. We have other areas like the Northern end not so bad. Also there is lots of open farm land in some areas. And in the north a heavy forest. A powered scope would probably allow some to try longer shots. A powered scope would probably allow more accurate shooting. A powered scope might even draw more into the sport. So that is a good thing.

But no matter which way it is decided, I will be happy. I do not compete with anyone. I just hunt because I enjoy it.

SWThomas said:
Tradition is good and all but when it comes to harvesting animals with a muzzleloader, we should be allowed to use equipment that will afford us the means to make the most ethical shot possible. Some people can shoot pretty good with open sights but nowhere near as good as they could with a scope. To me it's the same as using buckshot. Why would you want to allow people the possibility to make a bad shot and wound an animal. And yes I know people with scopes make bad shots too. But the chances of making a good clean shot are greater with a scope.

I agree with a scope makes a better kill sometimes. But if the hunters in that area want to keep the "a" season for 1 power scopes only that should be their choice. Just because a more powerful scope is better for a clean kill doesn't mean it should be the only way to hunt (usually it can be used if rifle season). Just because I cannot pull a bow, doesn't mean that I should be able to hunt with a rifle any time, any place, I want.

Another way of looking at it.

Dave

Michigan allows muzzleloader scopes, so why not allow it just across the border in Wisconsin?

I'll offer the opinion of a "FIB" that spends a large part of the fall season in the Buffalo County area. I really believe the state of Wisconsin's DNR crew sets rules in place that assures a large amount of hunter failure & easy tickets for the yahoos to write. It's all about the amount of revenue generated, not the health of the herd..or the worry about the traditional guys bumping into the inline guys & having muzzleloader hell brake loose in the forest. I've hunted in the Nicolet forest, the Tomahawk area, several spots in Manitowoc, and a few different spots around Mondovi & Gilmanton,...between 1st hand experience & all season contact with friends in all the mentioned areas,..the DNR stories are all the same....how many "BIG POACHER" busts do ya hear or read about? Compare that to the amount of stories...that most of you or friends of yours from Wisconsin have about the guy getting a ticket for walking back to his truck with a loaded gun after shooting hours...or a ticket for an unsigned license,..or improper display of the back tag,.it goes on & on about the poor guy that actually tries to play by the rules writing the checks..and the others go un noticed...the DNR has become nothing more then an ego driven revenue generator...pretty much nation wide...but worse in the great state of Wisconsin that anywhere else I've ever been. You'd think the scope rule wouldn't be this much of an issue,....but the guys at the DNR office are probably too busy ordering more wolves from Canada to re-introduce...or buying ticket books in bulk for the up comming 2009 season.....
Should we bring up their documented mistakes about the herd size of the whitetail,...they only missed it by 600,00 or so....and,....oooooopps,..maybe we do have a few more bears than we thought..we need statewide earn-a-buck for 10 more years...better order some more wolves Larry..... :D

(don't get me wrong..my best friends in the world live in Wisconsin..and I've had some great hunting moments there,.just not a fan of the modern DNR)

wi dnr

amen - could not have said it better myself. i hunt in waupaca county where the dnr says the deer run rampent. i can tell you first hand i do not see a fration of the deer i saw in my early years of hunting. the all out war on the deer with all the t zone hunts and earn-a-buck has taken a toll on the does. i'm lucky to see an adult doe anymore, much less have a chance at shooting one. in some respects, i think they are harder to get than a bigger buck. it is about time, the dnr really listens to what hunters have to say. i know they have a difficult job to do, but the least they can do is respect our input more. when one can walk over 40 acres of prime land to hunt and not see a single track, something is amiss. that is my rant for the week.

RAMBOY said:
Michigan allows muzzleloader scopes, so why not allow it just across the border in Wisconsin?

Lets just say that Michigan has a lot of its own stupid hunting regs too

Re: wi dnr

packerbacker said:
amen - could not have said it better myself. i hunt in waupaca county where the dnr says the deer run rampent. i can tell you first hand i do not see a fration of the deer i saw in my early years of hunting. the all out war on the deer with all the t zone hunts and earn-a-buck has taken a toll on the does. i'm lucky to see an adult doe anymore, much less have a chance at shooting one. in some respects, i think they are harder to get than a bigger buck. it is about time, the dnr really listens to what hunters have to say. i know they have a difficult job to do, but the least they can do is respect our input more. when one can walk over 40 acres of prime land to hunt and not see a single track, something is amiss. that is my rant for the week.

I bet I can get ya to rant more in less that a weeks time packerbacker,.... :D Ya should have been with me 2 years ago when we where at a check station near Gilmanton,..watched in amazement as the local DNR officer worked over a father & son,..accusing them of trying to register what he believed to be "road kill" doe just to legalize their buck tag,..kid couldn't have been more than 13-14 years old & was damn near in tears,..I'm a pretty good judge of character & would bet good money the doe was legally taken. Heck of a good experience for the kid & what he'll think about the DNR for the rest of his life..the guy that owned the bar that was registering the deer was so mad about the DNR's actions.(apperantly this particular officer spent ALOT of time hassling everyone comming thru)..that he called the state & refused to be a registration station any longer.....even if it was road kill...the folks put their tag on it (that costs money) and went to the trouble of clearing it off the road, instead of the state paying people to drive around & paint the heads pink on road kill & letting em rot on the roadside (god forbid the state would actually pick em up,..they're heavy ya know) I thought they just wanted dead does anyway? I do agree 100% about going to the meetings,.. folks are mad in your state,...and NEED to voice their opinions strongly every chance they get...I hope for the health of the sport someone actually listens to the folks that spend hard earned money & unmeasureable time in the woods..those are the opinions that count.
If hunters could organize for ONE season & boycott,..let the powers from above see what happens to the states economy if the deer hunters didn't participate with permits,.licenses,.gas,..food etc..no hunters for the DNR GI Joe's to write...bet that would open some eyes in a hurry...what the heck,.you can all come down & hunt Illinois for the year,...but we're watching the Bear's game!!

Not muzzle loading but it stinks just the same.

Your bow season is at risk. While reading through the Conservation Congress Spring hearings questions, I came across question 57 which seeks to make the archery season an antlerless only season except for opening weekend and two weeks during the rut. Bowhunters would not be allowed to harvest a buck at any other time of the bow season if this passes.

It is being labeled an "EAB alternative" is really an attack on bowhunters. The wording is sneaky enough not to mention the bow season which is most likely an attempt to trick unsuspecting CC voters into voting for it as an "Alternative" to EAB on the grounds of fairness. By fairness, it means that since gun hunters get an opening weekend and the 9 day season to hunt bucks that bowhunters should only get that same amount of time to harvest bucks.

As a Bowhunter, you have more reason than ever to attend the April 13th spring hearing to vote NO to question 57. Please make sure to spread the word about this assault on the bow season.

Here is the wording as it appears in the CC spring hearing book.

QUESTION 57 ? An EAB Alternative

The use of the Earn-a-Buck deer season in Wisconsin has been controversial, unpopular, and seemingly unfair to many hunters since its inception. Yet, EAB has proven to be effective at reducing high deer populations. It accomplishes this by tying the ability, opportunity, and desire for harvesting a buck with the biological necessity of harvesting antlerless deer. Sadly, EAB does this on an individual hunter basis where one hunter may be able to hunt bucks for over 100 days, while another hunter may never have even one day?s chance.

Another way of utilizing the same ?ability, opportunity, and desire for harvesting a buck? would be to implement a full-length antlerless season with a shortened buck harvest period. Season opening weekends (and perhaps a two or three week rutting period) would always be open for buck harvest so everyone in the DMU has the same chance at that time for a buck every year that the program is in effect. Antlerless harvest would be spurred on during the rest of the season by the desire to return to a full-season buck hunting opportunity again. Specific time periods and trigger points for the implementation of such a management tool could be developed cooperatively with the DNR. All hunters under this system would and should be treated equally.

In areas or DMUs of high over-goal deer populations and in an effort to provide equal buck-hunting opportunity to all hunters in those units, would you prefer the concept of shortening buck hunting opportunity by limiting the buck harvest equally for all hunters on a seasonal basis instead of limiting individual opportunity through the use of EAB?

All of this in my opinion are games that the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources play with us. They hate to admit that they can not control our deer herd very well. Heck, they can't even count them, how do we expect them to control them.

I think that bow hunting thing is very wrong. Bow hunting to me was for shooting bucks. Unless I needed an EAB then I would pop a small doe right away. But half the fun was sneaking around or hanging in a tree watching for that buck.

If the DNR keeps this up, they will drive away people from the sport and then they are really going to have some serious problems. They have a hard enough time getting young hunters to take advantage because of all the hoop we jump through for them.

Back