Winchester 30-30 sight picture.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
I was given a 1967 Winchester 30-30 from my dad. I took it to the range to shoot a box of rounds. I could not get the sight picture right. Talked to a guy at Winchester and he told me to set the bead in the bottom of the groove. Impacts were low. I raised the rear sight to the highest setting and I was still very low from center. Does anyone know how the sight picture is supposed to be with this rifle? Thanks for any help.

I disagree with the Winchester guy. The sight picture with iron sights should have the top of the bead/post even with the top of the rear sight. All even across the top, and use a 6 o'clock hold. I like to sight mine so I slide the bullet over the top of the bead. You may end up basically putting the bead ON the desired impact point. The reason you are low is because you are holding the bead low in the rear sight.

Hold the bead at the top of the rear sight. Just for reference, how many clicks do you go up on the rear sight for 100 yards? Thanks Lewistt.

You just have to experiment with the adjustments, but there should be a couple of little screws holding the rear sight aperature on the base. You may be able to loosen them, and slide the rear sight notch up. Raising the rear sight raises point of impact.

Latest posts

Back