wild plums

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
checked them out, three different kinds. most likely get a 5 gallon pail full in about a week when they are ready. going to make jam or jelly out of them. grapes are about ready also. may pick them at the same time and mix the two together for a good jam or jelly. best bedtime snack their is. that, real butter on toast is a good bed time snack. my grape is a concord type. also have wild grape vines i planted 3 to 4 years ago. when they reach 150 ft. long they will start to produce heavy. they will have a very strong grape flavor. my winter squash is setting a lot of winter squash on the vines. they will be ready in october. i love baked winter squash with supper in the winter.

What variety of winter squash do you grow?  I really like Acorn & Butternut.  I grew Spaghetti a few years ago, but we didn't like them very well.  Are your wild Grapes also called "Fox Grapes"?

Years ago when we had the small 17 acre farm we had two Plum Trees.  After a week long visit from a niece she went home telling her parents that we grew Prunes :)

fox wild grapes are for the south. they dont grow up here. how ever we have wild grapes up here  with long vines and they really produce. the flavor is a strong grape flavor and very good. the wild plums are the common northern type, the canadian type and the small tart texas type. they are all full on the trees this year and will make good jelly. six years ago i visited the home stead of my grandfathers and across the road from the old homestead is the old aspen grove i remember. that old grove has been their for 100/s of years. in that grove was dozens of wild grape vines covering every tree. their are still some spots that were never ever cut down or plowed under up their. wild straw berries grow on the unturned prairie up their also and are they good. the winter squash i grow is pink banana, small blue hubbards, arickara native squash and italian trombone squash that is eaten young and mature. if i only grew one type it would be the pink banana. nothing is better than that winter squash. they grow it in calif for baby food squash. its good any ways you cook it. baked or pies or anyways. it is related to the guatamalan blue but better. also the candy roaster from down south is a close relation. it is the best of them all. the trombone italian is related and close to ther butternut but much bigger and way more productive. give it a try and you will like it. i have winter squash in three diff. locations this year and they will will give me a lot of squash. our native friends love squash and they love it when i give them some in the fall.  they lived off of squash for 1000/s of years and it is their favorite garden food. they are right, it is very good for you. a pink banana type with orange stripes is grown by the tribes in wisconsin, they lived off of that squash since time way way back. acorns come from n.dak tribes but it isnt as good as the banana type. regular hubbards come the east coast tribes. they are too big for me too lift at my age. thats why i grow the smaller blue hubbard that has been crossed with another smaller squash in oregon. they all are good to eat. i also grow the spaghetti and have about 20 of them out in the garden. my wife eats those. you steam those and mix tomato sauce  with them and eat like pasta. if you grow them with acorn they will cross with them  and it can be a strange interesting mixture. they will mix with some types of pumpkins also. also if you put out a large garden of squash you can take all the flowers of and make a nice soup out of that. it is very good and good for you. the natives ate the flowers, the young green squash and the mature squash. they are all good.

It sounds like you're the guy to go to for advice on growing Squash :)  We use very little ourselves in the way of Winter Squash, but I can sure chow down on a plate of fried Summer Squash, either straight or crookneck.  Both are very prolific in our climate & soil.  The winter varieties grow well here,  but they're just not as popular. 

I was unable to have a Garden this year due to health issues and I doubt my being able to next year unless all I have to do is the eating :)  My spot is small as it's only 5 rows wide by 45' long, but it's amazing how much I can grow on the small plot.  I do miss being able to go out and pick a fresh Tomato to have with a meal.  We have a great Farmer's Market, but it's just not the same as growing my own.

squash is about my favorite thing to grow. ive tried all kinds. their are about 3 types of squash with one 4th one that is sort of related to the other three. they can only marry up and cross with in their type. it is fun to do this and see what you get. the best summer green squash is the italian one they call trombone. it is a vinning type and much better than any bush type to slice and grill.

picked 3 gallons of wild plums and 3 gallons of grapes this morning before church. put them in a big roaster in the oven at 170 degrees until bed time. at that temp it will soften them and sweeten them. then i will separate seeds from pulp.blend the pulp, add sugar and pectin,cook and then put in pint jars for a good jam.  i also add a little vitamin c for color and health and a pinch of salt which helps the sweetness come out stronger.

Latest posts

Back