Knight Disc Elite and BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
Is the 50 Cal Knight Disc Elite BH209 ready right out of the box, I thought I had read about different breech plugs etc? I am going to be recieving a new one soon and want to start rounding up whatever I will need if anything. Anyone with any advice as far as loads in this particular model would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks

It comes with the FPJ concave breechplug which works fine. I prefer the NFPJ breechplug as it keeps the receiver area much cleaner and you do not need the red FPJs. Make sure you use a Federal 209A or CCI 209M primer.

I shoot an original 'orange' Disc Knight fine with B209. The partner has an Extreme with the red discs & does fine. We have had no mis-fires with either. We use CCIM primers. Be sure to seat the sabot firmly.

We are in the 115-120grn charge ballpark. I've dropped to the 115 for no real reason. I'm sure I could get by with a little less, but I'm sighted & ready to go at 115. I'm happy with the SST/Shockwave 250 grn sabot. I did find the "low-drag" types a little to loose for my liking in the Knight.

I may hunt for a few days/firings between cleaning. When I do it's Hoppes #9 & a detailed cleaning. I leave a light oil coat on things for storage & dry before I reload. The welding tip cleaner is run through the BP hole a few times to be sure it's fully open.

jsteurrys said:
It comes with the FPJ concave breechplug which works fine. I prefer the NFPJ breechplug as it keeps the receiver area much cleaner and you do not need the red FPJs. Make sure you use a Federal 209A or CCI 209M primer.
Where can I get the nfpj breechplug?

Knight has em. You don't need it, I shoot my Extreme and Elite with BH and the plastic jackets with no problems. I prefer them in the crummy weather we ussually hunt in.

billyzink

I have to agree with Critter, i tried the NFPJ for awhile then went back to the FPJ - i just do not like tryingto handle those 209 primers in my cold bare hands or even worse yet with gloves on...

I like the zero blowback that I get with the NFPJ breechplug. The receiver area stays completely clean. The FPJs are definitely easier to handle in cold weather. I added a small "o"-ring to the NFPJ breechplug to make it weather tight. Opinions my vary.

Back