Who won when?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
This was spilling over on the twist thread so here goes

PR Bullets site mentions a couple years but not the team. 2001 and 2002
QT .40 Polymer Tip sabots take first place at the 2001 & 2002 World "Manufacturers Challenge" Blackpowder Championships team event.

Knights 2006 catalog with the DE658B Target shows a 2005 win and says they won for the last 6 year straight. So that should be from 2000-2005.
Every year, the world’s muzzleloading rifle manufacturers square off in a shooting competition that tests accuracy unlike any other event. At the 2005 shoot in Friendship, IN we took home #1 honors, again, for the sixth straight year!

Doc White's site mentions the 2006 win and breaking all previous records with the "Varminter" rifle.
WHITE RIFLES TEAM WINS THE 2006 MANUFACTURER’S MATCH
The White team established a new record for the match, shooting 1132- 14X, eclipsing the old record of 1101-8X set in 2005 by the Knight team. David Jones also shot a new individual record for the match, shooting a 291-3X. He missed 9 points out of 300. WOW! It is hard for me to express how proud I am of this team of shooters.

His website also goes on with a little more info about the match.
All this came to a head with the advent of the National Manufacturer’s match at the Spring 2000 NMLRA shoot. All the manufacturers/importers in the country were invited to bring a team of shooters to the match, shooting off the shelf rifles. There were to be 4 members to a team, shooting a series of paper targets in the morning and a series of steel gongs in the afternoon. Scopes were allowed, otherwise the guns were supposed to be stock, off the shelf items. The winners got the glory, the manufacturer got to advertise that they won.

By the fourth year (2005), it had become apparent that the White team of absolute amateurs shooting off the shelf rifles was competing against professionals with meticulously tuned guns and sighting systems

Ok, this appears to imply that 2000 was the first year and 2 of those years sabots beat Whites conicals. I also found a reference to Savage competing using Black Mag 3 powder. That would have been in 2006 or 2005.
As a matter of fact, it was the great success of Savage Shooter Dennis Dudley and his NMLRA "Manufacturer's Cup" shooting team with Black Mag 3 in their Savage 10ML-II rifles that convinced me that Magkor's Black Mag 3 deserved a new, closer look

Whites website also says 2006 was the last year for that match.
The match was discontinued after White cleaned everyone’s clock. I guess we get to keep the trophy.

I wish i would of known about Friendship back then ! There were so many companies building rifles.Crazy part about all this. I have a old .45 1-20Knight Disk, TC .45 1-20 Encore,TC 1-20 Omega and a.45 1-20 White Thunderbolt. All rifles are very accurate built in that time frame that will and have competed against todays.45s and customs.

45cal said:
Part about match discontinued because they won is false
Also there were no professionals on Knights team they were all Normal NMLRA competitors

45cal said:
45cal said:
Part about match discontinued because they won is false
Also there were no professionals on Knights team they were all Normal NMLRA competitors
There pictures are in the cataloge of Knight

I know a bit about this match
and no it wasn’t discontinued because we
(Knight) lost. And NO we were not professionals. We were at the time and in several cases still are the best of the best shooters at Friendship. 2007 would’ve been interesting I’ll say that much.

:yeah:
miMusketman said:
(Knight) lost. And NO we were not professionals. We were at the time and in several cases still are the best of the best shooters at Friendship. 2007 would’ve been interesting I’ll say that much.

miMusketman said:
It’s my understanding talking with Gordy a few years ago, that Knight won the first 6 mfg matches. White won the last.
Can you describe the format? I’ve asked Joyce, Tom Schiffer (past President), Branch M. , etc.. and I’ve not a conclusive answer yet.
I certainly recall the matches as they were shot beside and on the LR Silhouette line, where I shoot.
Thanks
Rick Weber

Sorry if anyone thinks my intent was to start a pissing match. I can assure you it was not. There is just very little documentation available about those matches. I know who competed for Knight in 2005. The pic with all the names is right in the 2006 Knight catalog. This is FAR more about what rifles were used and what loads were used....And about all those that competed.

For example, i thought i read that Savage finished either 3rd or 5th once?

What Knight rifle and load was used the first year?

What were the rifles used in the 2001 and 2002 wins with the QT bullets and which QT bullet weight?

DkqyIAf.jpg

:drinkers: No pissing matches weve had enough of that pertaining to this event. And yes I’m one of those
in the pic. Rick it went like this. There was
3 targets on the offhand line friday evening .
The Hafner 5 animal 25 yd target, the deer
at 50 yds and a buffalo at 100 yds. All offhand
15 shots no sighters in about an hour. Then there was a 100 buffalo target from any
position except a bench generaly it was from
a good bipod or padded log. This target was
fired anytime till shooting ended saturday
afternoon for standard line matches. Finally
sat afternoon the gong match. This was 6”
gongs at 120 yds and 8” gongs at 150 yds. This was how the last 5 or so years was fired. A good friend just reminded me the first few years we did fire from treestands and a few
different variations but the final format was as I described. Of course if someone remembers
different Im good with it but this is what I remember

Thanks, that was great info.
I do remember the tree stand !!!

The White team established a new record for the match, shooting 1132- 14X, eclipsing the old record of 1101-8X set in 2005 by the Knight team. David Jones also shot a new individual record for the match, shooting a 291-3X. He missed 9 points out of 300. WOW! It is hard for me to express how proud I am of this team of shooters.

Is the above quote from Doc accurate ??

I think it is, but i could look in some records at NMlra Office. They also still have the trophy

What people on this sight should realize is Inlines were not only Rifles used. Some used side locks that shot conicals. It was for any Manufactured Muzzle Loader.

I can’t confirm or deny that quote
but yes the final year they put a whoppin
on us. :prayer: The problem was the spirit of the match had been uprooted so to speak.
I like building hotrod rifles as much as anyone
else but honestly the match was heading in a bad direction. The first couple times we shot
out of the box guns and it seemed like more
fun. HP Gregory was by far the star of the show and was easily the best individual
performer. He fired a T/C for a couple years
then became the go to person for Knight.

You are absolutely correct 45 cal it was
titled “Manufacturers Match “ not inline
match. Some of the Pedersoli rifles of today would’ve really been fun to fire in that match.

miMusketman said:
I can’t confirm or deny that quote
but yes the final year they put a whoppin
on us. :prayer: The problem was the spirit of the match had been uprooted so to speak.
I like building hotrod rifles as much as anyone
else but honestly the match was heading in a bad direction. The first couple times we shot
out of the box guns and it seemed like more
fun. HP Gregory was by far the star of the show and was easily the best individual
performer. He fired a T/C for a couple years
then became the go to person for Knight.
That’s one of the main reasons I have never competed , it seems to bring out the worst in some people. If I do come to Friendship I am just looking at meeting everyone and having some fun rather than competition being the reason I go.

miMusketman said:
You are absolutely correct 45 cal it was
titled “Manufacturers Match “ not inline
match. Some of the Pedersoli rifles of today would’ve really been fun to fire in that match.
I love my Pedersolis , they are a great gun for a Repro

Latest posts

Back