Who uses their smokepole during the modern firearm season?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only use muzzleloaders for big game, which consists of deer around here. Matter of fact of all the guys that hunt the lease, Southern Michigan, none of them use a shotgun.

Smokepole all the time, I actually just traded my Remington 870 for another ML.

In Ohio no centerfire rifles, I use the ML most of the time.

I've got center fires some where, just can't seem to find them!! :shock:

I have been carrying my muzzleloader(10ml11) only for 5 years now in Minnesota. I have always been concerned that someday maybe I would be sorry that I did not have a second shot for the BIG ONE, this year I would have been sorry if I would have been carrying the slug gun, the BIG ONE finally showed himself 223 yards out in the bean field, one shot square in the shoulder and he fell where he stood!!! Never would have made that shot with the slug gun!!!

got away from deer hunting a few yrs ago, been duck hunting to much . bought my first m/l this yr and started deer hunting again.the m/l has added new excitement to deer hunting.

For some reason I have always preferred the muzzleloader but there is no telling which muzzleloader on what day. Lee

Here in Illinois we can use shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun. Do not remember last time I used a shotgun. Handgun or muzzleloader for the past several years. TC encore pistol in 480 Ruger for handgun. Up until last years a TC Renegade in 54 cal with conicals or patched round ball. Last year a TC Pro Hunter in 50 cal joined the crew and has killed the last two deer. One last years muzzle loading season and one this years first gun weekend. Love them all!

I'm a bowhunter first and for the past 10years.....when I gun hunt it's w/ my muzzy.

I just got mine got the cva wolf need to finish sighting it in but next year i may use it instead of my rifle.

Pete

TOO MANY people here or in Kalifornia from where i moved , have not hunted a rifle season since 1976 . It a zoo here !!!!!!!! :oops: :roll:

I use my Muzzleloaders on about half of my rifle season trips. On the public land I hunt I'm required to use the smokepoles, and I love them so it's not an issue. The private land I hunt is open fields with a few draws, so 200-400yd shots are required and I carry the 270 Winchester. Also, being right next to Kansas, the wind is always blowing on the poen fields I hunt. I dont carry the Muzzys on private land when the wind is blowing 20+ mph. That's a lot of bullet drift at 200yds with a smokepole!!

I use my smokepole instead of my Remington 870 slug gun. It shoots better, plus I love that "one shot challenge."

:D :D :D

My ACCURA all the time for me. Nothing but shotgun, pistol or muzzleloader here in IL. I'm just glad that we can use the muzzleloader for all the FIRE ARM, MUZZLELOADER ONLY and LATE WINTER SEASON. We can use all our unfilled permits for the LATE WINTER SEASON but can only take anterless only no matter what the permits say (either sex) :!: :!: :!: Leaving again on 2 DEC for the 4 day Firearm Season. Got a big doe last weekend. Hope to fill another tag or 2 next weeekend :!: :!:

Good luck everyone :!: :!: :!:

I have taken 4 or 5 animals in the last few years during centerfire season in addition to spring bears which is always an any weapon season. It's rewarding to make it happen when your out gunned by other others in the area.

hawgslayer said:
:D :D :D

Got a big doe last weekend. Hope to fill another tag or 2 next weeekend :!: :!:

:

Rub it in !!!

:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Like i said before i think i need to move east !!! :roll:

Considering I get as good if not better accuracy with my 10ML-II at 200yrds than I can get most of the time with my slug rifles at 100yrds, it is extreamly hard not to use the 10ML-II. It also costs me less than $1 per shot with my 10ML-II VS $2+ with sabot slugs.

i use mine all year, its good it gets me away from the crowd hunting in primitive weopens areas.

Back