Who got you started?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didnt pick up the first smoker till just a few years ago. GA started a smokepole season and at first I just continued to hunt with my bow during that season, but for some reason I bought a CVA and kinda liked shooting it. although I never killed anything with it.

then I purchased a barrel for the encore and started taking it across the country on all kinds of hunts and really enjoyed that smokey haze! :lol:

well then a lil product called BH209 came out and started getting reviews and I started researching it and asking questions about it. heard absolutely nothing but good.

soooooooooo I bought a can and shot it a while......AND sold all my centerfires and am now 100% smokepole or bow! :partyman:

A friend loaned me his MZ so I could try and fill my license during the 1982 season. Didn't have any success that year but I was hooked and had a TC Renegade the next year 50 cal shooting 80grs 2f black powder and a patched round ball. Round ball was all that was legal at that time. This particular gun didn't do very well with the Rball and was only minute of deer out to 75 yards. Mid 80's the round ball rules went away and I started shooting maxi balls and the groups tightened and I pushed it out to 125yards. I then started teaching Hunter Safety classes and was offered a really good deal to purchase directly from Modern muzzle loading directly from the factory as a instructor. Next gun was a 54cal MK85 which I still own. My next one was a Savage and I'm still playing with that but I hate the fact that I can't use smokeless in this state. Last year it accounted for 4 whitetails and the year before one. Due to neck surgery last year I purchased a 45 cal disc extreme. This gun accounted for 3 whitetails this year. I then had the chance to pick up a 45 cal disc elite which will get a workout this summer. I friend has been carrying the MK85 for the last three years and he is now officially hooked. I located a 50cal SS Extreme for him and plan to work up loads for him and also a load for his wife to use in it. Once you smell the powder and see the results there is no turning back.

DC

I started in Nov 2008 by myself. I'm an archery nut but am having trouble with my shoulder (had surgery in Dec) so I thought I'd better find an alternative. I bought a CVA Kodiak and was addicted from the first shot.

Kingdady said:
I am curiose as to who introduced everyone on here into muzleloading and how old were you at the time. For me it was my grandad he got me shooting front loaders when I was 7yrs old it was a .45 cal T/C boy did we have fun. Oh and I am only 35 now.

Daniel Boon, and Davie Crockit shows when groing up. My mom said no to toy guns but i still dreamed and many years later got a Flintlock. Found that it is not as easy to hunt with than tv shows, 10 years later my wife buys me a CVA Kodaik Pro, and the wonder and dreams are still there, so this time I am learning a lot more and am studying to do better.

still green
forrest

I got interested in muzzleloaders after having already deer hunted with a bow and shotgun for over 20 years. Started hunting with a muzzleloader in 2002, and haven't used any other gun to deer hunt with since. I love the challenge of having just one shot.

Back